Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISR 4331 - voice gateway configuration

Marius33
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am trying to expand my existing VoIP network that uses a CUCM 11.5  to another location using a newly bought CISCO isr4331/k9 but I've never configured an isr4331/k9 and don't know how to proper make use of it.

I need to install 80 Cisco 7821 at the new location and I also want to enable SRST so the phones can still call locally if isr4331/k9 loses connection to the CUCM.  

Can someone please explain some steps for me to follow, some tutorials or a list of commands that I need for the isr4331/k9.

Thank you for your help!

19 Replies 19

Yes, I bought the required licenses.

If you have worked with other voice-enabled routers, the 4331 isn't any different in concept and IOS and IOS-XE have very similar commands. If the remote router does not have direct PSTN access for the phones at that location, then all you really need is IP routing and a DHCP pool. If the router at that location is to be a local PSTN access router, then you will need dial-peers and a SIP Trunk to CUCM. 

As for SRST, this is well-documented if you do a search. Take a look and let us know if you have specific questions.

If you have never configured these things before and need a template, take a look at the Cisco Validated Design for Collaboration  The Call Control section has information on SRST and the Collaboration Edge section (especially near the bottom of the page) has information on CUBE.

Maren

Marius33
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Thank your for your suggestions. I've started configuring the ISR4431, made an DHCP pool, created the voice register global and defined some phones but I have a small issue. Whenever I make a call from one phone to another I can't see the caller's ID, all I get is "unknown number". Could someone take a look over my configuration file and let me know where I've gone wrong? Also, please take a look at the E1 card configuration and dial peer for my interconnection to the CUCM 11.5.

Thank you!

First let me say that for a person who says they don't have a lot of experience you configured the heck out of that router. Well done.

I see your config uses CUCMExpress for phones, but you have your E1 configured as MGCP which uses CUCM. Do you have a CUCM cluster that you are using? If not, you will want to reconfigure your E1 to be managed by the router itself, and then use dial-peers to pass calls to and from your service provider.

As for caller ID, that you are seeing "Unknown caller" for voice register dn 1 and 2, or just the rest? The "name" on the voice register dn is how caller ID is configured and I see it on those two number.

Maren

Hi Maren,

Thank you! I've looked at some YouTube videos and started configuring it.
Firstly, I am using CUCM 11.5 in my main facility and I don't have any phone licenses left so for another facility close by we bought an ISR 4431 with 100 phone licenses and we want to interconnect these two VoIP networks using E1 because we don't need a license for this type of connection. So let me know what I have to change in my config to accommodate this connectivity.
Secondly, I get the "unknown caller" even from voice register dn 1 & 2. I've put the name also on voice register dn 39 & 40 and I still get the same "unknown caller". Do I need to put something else or delete other commands that I have in the config? Btw, at the beginning when I had only 2 phones configured, whenever I called one of the phones I would get the number of the calling phone, but then I started to add more commands for e1 card, dial peers, and more phones and when I tried at the end it didn't worked anymore. Please take a look at the config, maybe I put something that shouldn't be there.

Thank you very much for your help!

Marius

Hi Marius,

Did you remember to perform a create profile under Voice Register Global section after you added new pools?

On your last posted configuration, I cannot see any dialpeer. Can you please post the latest configuration?

Thanks

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Marius33
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Carlo,

Yes, the create profile is added under Voice Register Global. I've deleted it and added again after adding the new pools - thought that this is the problem also but sadly no.

Please see attached my latest config.
I remember it worked the caller id between 2 phone at the beginning even without the dial peer command. Btw, I've added the dial peer command so I can dial to and from the ISR4431 numbers (3000-3100) to my existing CUCM 11.5 numbers (1000-1999). I don't think is complete so if you can take a look also at that one I'll be very appreciative.

Kind regards, 

Marius

Hi Marius,

Just to be sure I understood your inteintion.

Are you configuring the 4431 as a standalone CUCME or you want to configure SRST feature?

In both cases you are missing some commands there such as dialpeers or call-manager-fallback

But.. please first indicate what you are intentioned to do and we can elaborate a suggention

Please let us know

Regards

Carlo

Hi Carlo,

I want to configure the 4431 to be able to register 100 phones and interconnect this with the existing CUCM 11.5 using a E1 link. In case the E1 link drops, the phones are still going to be registered on the 4431 and function locally. So I think its a standalone CUCME since the phones are going to be registered in the 4431 and the licenses for the phones are on the 4431. Hopefully, you understood what my intention is. Let me know if you need more information. I'm looking forward for your email with the commands that I need to modify or add to make this configuration work.

Kind regards,

Marius

Hi Marius,

Ok. Got it!

I guess that when you say "interconnect this with the existing CUCM 11.5 using a E1 link" you mean with another Voice Gateway through E1"

That said, please post the output of a "show voice register pool all brief" and a "show ephone registered".

Than activate a debug ccsip messages and place a call between two extensions and post the output of the debug command.

Thanks a lot

Regards

Carlo

Marius33
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Carlo,

Please see attached the output of the commands you wanted to see. At this moment I had only connected just phone nr 39 and 40 so that's why they are the only ones that appear registered. Let me know if you need more information.

Kind regards,

Marius

What about @Carlo Poggiarelli question about the E1?

"I guess that when you say "interconnect this with the existing CUCM 11.5 using a E1 link" you mean with another Voice Gateway through E1"

Response Signature

Yes, with another voice gateway though an E1.