cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 6.1 Node License Requirements

Tom Dillon
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, I noticed when adding a new server to an existing CUCM 6.1 cluster that will not be running the CCM service it does not use a node licenses. Does Cisco require you to purchase the CUCM software license for the server? The additional server will only have the TFTP service activated.

Thanks,

Tom.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Actually that is incorrect Rob, I've inquired about this and every server in a cluster needs to be licensed. You are correct that the node license will not be taken from the pull until CM service is started, but legally the license in required.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tom,

You do not require a Node License for the TFTP server. As you nicely noted, only boxes that will be running Callmanager Service require a Node License :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Actually that is incorrect Rob, I've inquired about this and every server in a cluster needs to be licensed. You are correct that the node license will not be taken from the pull until CM service is started, but legally the license in required.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks Rob and Chris, I suspected there may be language with Cisco licensing that requires a purchase of a server license for each server in the cluster. I asked the local Cisco account rep and the answer was yes. It does make sense that every server in the cluster would require a node license even for servers that do not have CCM activated. I wonder why CUCM does not decrement the node license count for non-CCM service servers?

Tom.

Hey Chris/Tom,

Well those weasel #!@$'s (just kidding:)I did not think that this was the case.+5 points Chris for setting me straight on this (this is your last +5 from me this year ;-)

Cheers!

Rob

Hello Chris,

We have the same issue with two TFTP servers and one MOH server, it's for us "un-sellable" to have a full licensed CUCM LIC7.x-78xx license for TFTP and MOH (3x 15.995$ - WPL !!@çç?), they will not serve as CUCM, cfr:""You are correct that the node license will not be taken from the pull until CM service is started, but legally the license in required."

So, what you are telling is that it would be possible without buying the licenses?

plz advice,

grts

Koen

Hi Koen,

In UCM 8.0 (and 7.1(5)) Cisco are introducing a new licensing model called User Connect Licensing.

This does away with the existing node/DLU licensing model and moves to a user based model.

The upside of this for you is that you can have as many UCM servers operational as you like.

The same type of arrangement has been available through Cisco Unified Workspace Licensing (CUWL) for a while now.

Personally I question whether Cisco should be introducing this new model when the fulfillment of the existing licenses (particularly for upgrades) is so patchy.

Thanks James,

I know of this UCL and CUWL licenses, for now this was a customer in the befor period of this licenses, he's in the 7.1 train, and bought some DLU's, now we are installing his cluster and some guys from service delivery were wondering if we didn't needed the node licenses for the TFTP and MOH servers, for me it's not sellable to a customer that he has to pay 15.995$ for the MCS7845 LIC7.1 licenses, even if he don't going to use the CUCM service, just a simple tftp server + a second + a MOH streamer let's say 15.995$x3 times !!çç. Has anyone an idea or experienced with this, I've seen in a previous post that the license is not taken into acount if you don't activate the CUCM service on the server.

so plz share your experience

thanks

Hi

I agree that it is a very silly situation... a while back I had the same discussion (by proxy through our Sales guys) with Cisco.

Basically if you read the SRND for CCM6 (and I've checked it's the same in v7):

A call processing subscriber is a server that has the Cisco CallManager Service enabled. A single server

license is required to enable this service on a subscriber. The Cisco CallManager Service cannot be

enabled on a server if the publisher is not available because the publisher acts as a licensing server and

distributes the licenses needed to activate the Cisco CallManager Service.

This is the only mention of CCM node licensing, and implies strongly that you don't need a license for non-call processing servers. If it were a requirement, then surely someone at Cisco would have found a couple of hours to adjust the licensing so that the node license was consumed when you add a server to the 'System/Servers' menu in CCMAdmin rather than when you activate the CCM service.

Or you might think they'd mention it in the design documents.

But no, they just tell you that you need to order licenses when you ask them about it specifically. It gives me the feeling that people are just falling back on the default answer of 'of course you need a server license' if there is any ambiguity in the situation.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

shell99102
Level 1
Level 1

7.1.3 and 7.1.5 appear to be completely different versions of CallManager due to the new licensing model. Before deciding to run 7.1.5 you should read this post and do some more research.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3058762#3058762

Mike Shelley

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: