Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need license for VoIP

Jthnusmc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Recently I got a new router 3945. I was going to test it out for the phones but I found out it didn't do anything, won't even show the command for telephony-service

I did some research and had to activate a type of license FoundationSuiteK9 and AdvUCSuiteK9 then I was able to see the telephony-service command

Then I did : show license all and saw they have expiration date and how long I've used it

Now I'm wondering what happens when they expire. Do I need to go and get new license or do I just need to activate them again or do those license comes with the IOS and I have to update them?

I'm in need to figure that out before next year.

Please help!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

I just had a quick look on a CME, it's a 29xx router so maybe not exactly the same, but it's the same generation.  The only licences in use are "ipbasek9" (which comes as standard),  "uck9" and "cme-srst".  I can't see that Foundation Suite is needed.  Summarising and maybe over simplifying ..

IP Base is the basic router function

UC gives the basic voice function, what you'd need for a voice gateway for example

CME adds the licence to register phones and generally act as a CME.

Have a look at the ordering guide which explains some of the licensing considerations but bear in mind that since this generation is now end of sale, the exact licence parts may have changed

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/1900-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/ordering_guide_c07_557736.html

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Once the expiry the services stop working, so contact local cisco partner to help you quote to get licenses based on your requirement.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

what if I'm unable to do that when the service stop working, is there a way to prevent it to happen in advance?

Contact cisco local SE or Partner discuss the requirement, they give you a quote, purchase them as per the best quote.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

I just had a quick look on a CME, it's a 29xx router so maybe not exactly the same, but it's the same generation.  The only licences in use are "ipbasek9" (which comes as standard),  "uck9" and "cme-srst".  I can't see that Foundation Suite is needed.  Summarising and maybe over simplifying ..

IP Base is the basic router function

UC gives the basic voice function, what you'd need for a voice gateway for example

CME adds the licence to register phones and generally act as a CME.

Have a look at the ordering guide which explains some of the licensing considerations but bear in mind that since this generation is now end of sale, the exact licence parts may have changed

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/1900-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/ordering_guide_c07_557736.html

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco router licenses do not expire, but to allow the feature configuration you need to purchase proper license i.e. UC licenses.  You cannot enter voice commends without the license present on the router.

Hi,

Yes, you need to purchase license to activate telephony service on Cisco Router.

Have you purchased Cisco UC Technology-package for your router? If yes, have you purchased add-on Cisco CME license for telephony use and for how many phones?

If you did not purchase UC Technology-package and CME Licenses:

If you did not purchase these licenses but activated it, then under "show version" you will see "EvalRightToUse" against UC Technology-package. This indicates that the features associated with the UC technology-package are active but the router is using an evaluation license which will expire. The "show license detail cme-srst" commands will show you the license status and how much time has left:

MiniLab-CME#show license detail cme-srst
Feature: cme-srst                        Period left: 3  weeks 3  days
Index: 1        Feature: cme-srst                          Version: 1.0
        License Type: EvalRightToUse
        License State: Active, In Use
            Evaluation total period: 8  weeks 4  days
            Evaluation period left: 3  weeks 3  days
            Period used: 5  weeks 0  day
            Transition date: Jan 13 2020 22:09:31
        License Suite: AdvUCSuiteK9
        License Count: 20/0  (In-use/Violation)
        License Priority: Low
        Store Index: 5
        Store Name: Built-In License Storage
MiniLab-CME#

A temporary/Evaluation license allows a feature set to be used for 60 days of actual usage. When the 60-day period expires, the device will continue to operate normally until reloaded. After the reload, the device will default to the original functionality before the temporary license was enabled. The Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) can provide an extension license for longer trials or other circumstances.

If you have purchased UC Technology-package and CME Licenses:

If your have purchased UC Technology-package and the appropriate number of CME seats, then you have the “right to use” these licenses. If you have activated these licenses then under "show version" you will see "Permanent" against UC Technology-package. This indicates that the features associated with the UC technology-package are active and permanent. The "show license detail cme-srst" commands will show you the license status. Note that even after accepting the EULA, the License Type says EvalRightToUse and output shows an Evaluation period. This is because the evaluation is ACTIVE for 60 days. After 60 days i.e. on "Transition date" this will change to RightToUse. The license automatically converts into a “right to use” license after the 60 day period and will be active for ten years after conversion. 

Please refer to below URLs for more details:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/collaboration-voice-and-video/understanding-cme-srst-license-activation/ta-p/3123270

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/software-activation-on-integrated-services-routers-isr/white_paper_c11_556985.html

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.