Views
Helpful
Replies

enable for push notifications on cucm

Ahmed Tarek
Level 3
Level 3

hi all,

i just need to ask dose enable for push notifications must to connect cloud ?

i found following article explain the option

but i need to use it without connect cloud

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/12_5_1/systemConfig/cucm_b_system-configuration-guide-1251/cucm_b_system-configuration-guide-1251_chapter_01010000.html

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Yes, that feature allows push notification to iOS devices (not Android) without any internet connectivity. If used with Jabber you can implement a fully air gapped solution; however, the Webex app still requires internet connectivity for other functionality. Webex app is the long term direction and is expected to eventually support air gapped environments as well. If it’s just CUCM that can’t communicate with the internet for some policy reason but the user client device can, I recommend using the Webex app to avoid a subsequent migration when Jabber is eventually sunset.

View solution in original post

Local Push Notification is currently only available for iOS, which raises a question since deploying a feature exclusively for iOS may not be feasible given the presence of Android users who might also want this feature in your office.

If your environment is not air-gapped, I would recommend opting for Push Notifications. and yes it does need  traffic open to cloud.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

As the push notification uses services in the Apple cloud you cannot enable it if you don’t let CM access to the cloud.

Response Signature

Hi,

(If I understood your question correctly)

The push notification services for Jabber and Webex apps are provided in collaboration with Apple and Google clouds, in conjunction with Cisco's cloud. Therefore, the clients (Jabber/Webex apps) must connect with their respective cloud providers—Google for Android devices and Apple for iPhones.

When these applications run in the background, they lose direct communication with the PBX. Push notifications offer an alternative channel to reach clients through partner clouds (Apple or Google).

If security is a concern, please note that all push notification content is encrypted using a 256-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) key. This key is defined by Cisco Jabber and Cisco Webex when the user signs in and can be updated periodically by the client. All content sent as part of push notifications is encrypted. Cisco's cloud push service requires encrypted payloads and will reject any unencrypted data before transmission to the Apple or Google clouds. Additionally, all communications with Cisco's cloud push service are secured using Transport Layer Security (TLS), ensuring that any content pushed through the APNS is encrypted.

Regarding cloud provisioning, you only need to ensure outbound connectivity over port 443 from your UCM server to Cisco's cloud (specifically to fos-a.wbx2.com, push.webexconnect.com, and idbroker.webex.com). Additionally, you must install the necessary certificates in your call manager trust store (It is automatically done when you enable the push notification and by selecting the method). The process is straightforward and requires minimal steps, as outlined in the document I shared earlier.

Please note that without connectivity from the call manager publisher to Cisco's cloud, push notification services cannot be enabled.

It will be good to know why do you doesn't want to perform the cloud provisioning (it is not related to control hub provisioning and cloud connected UC).

Regards,

Shalid 

Disclaimer:

Responses are based on personal knowledge and experience. Consider them as guidance. Other members may offer different perspectives or better approaches. No responsibility is assumed for outcomes; discretion is advised.

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

See the Local Push Notification section of the guide.

Thanks @Jonathan Schulenberg for your point,

it mean i can use it without cloud ?

off course if i match all required condition mention in guide

Yes, that feature allows push notification to iOS devices (not Android) without any internet connectivity. If used with Jabber you can implement a fully air gapped solution; however, the Webex app still requires internet connectivity for other functionality. Webex app is the long term direction and is expected to eventually support air gapped environments as well. If it’s just CUCM that can’t communicate with the internet for some policy reason but the user client device can, I recommend using the Webex app to avoid a subsequent migration when Jabber is eventually sunset.

Local Push Notification is currently only available for iOS, which raises a question since deploying a feature exclusively for iOS may not be feasible given the presence of Android users who might also want this feature in your office.

If your environment is not air-gapped, I would recommend opting for Push Notifications. and yes it does need  traffic open to cloud.

Response Signature

Thanks, @Jonathan Schulenberg for sharing this. I was not aware of the local push notification .

ShalidKurunnanChalil_0-1722509716596.png

As per the doc, it needs Cisco call manager 14SU3 or later. with the LPN, you don't need to establish cloud connectivity.

Regards

Indeed, to utilize the LPN feature, it’s essential to have the latest version installed. This is still a relatively new topic. Currently, it’s only available for iOS users, which raises the question of what can be done for Android users.

Response Signature