cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Handset/Headset Monitoring Query (Alternative to 7942G)

chawkins89
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning Cisco Support Community!

I have another query regarding devices with the capability of Handset/Headset Monitoring, currently our estate houses 7942G's  throughout the contact centre however these have recently became End of Life and we have been advised to upgrade our handsets to 7841s due to being like for like in terms of ability.

However, this isn't the case as there is no option for Handset/headset monitoring within the device profile which is a large requirement for the contact centre especially when training new agents.

I have had a look at several data sheets and have had a look through CUCM's device profiles and I'm unable to find a newer model with this functionality, I am basically looking for an official response to see whether there is an alternative device that has this capability that is not End of Life.

Extra info: CUCM 10.5 + UCCE/CVP Environment

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Christopher Hawkins

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Christopher,

With the 7900 series phones like the 7942, this behavior was actually considered a bug up until the 8-5-x firmware release. I truly believe that they couldn't come up with a fix for this unexpected issue that some people loved & desired and other hated & despised so they just made it an actual feature ;

CSCsr65970 - Feature to turn on/off audio played to handset while on headset

Description

Symptom:
If you listen closely, the phone will play the audio to headset and handset simultaneously
at all times.

Conditions:
It happens on all 79XX phones until firmware 8.3(5)

Workaround:
This is a product specific configuration now available under CCMAdmin > Device > Phone for 79X2 and 79X5 phones.
Handset/Headset Monitor:

When  handset/headset monitoring is enabled, a supervisor can pick up the  inactive handset/headset and hear the call in progress. For example, if  an agent is on a call on the headset, a supervisor can hear the other  party on the handset. Only the microphone on the active handset/headset  is in use. For example, if an agent is active on the headset, then the  headset microphone is active and the handset microphone is disabled.

Details

First Found in:                          (2)

8.3(5),8.5(2)

Terminated

Last Modified:

Nov 09,2012

Product:

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7900 Series

Platform:

Dependent

Severity:

6 - enhancement

So, if you look on the Device page for a 7942 under the

Product Specific Configuration Layout

you will find;

Handset/Headset Moitor - enable/disable

This setting is not available on any of the newer IP Phones as you have discovered

In most cases people wanted this capability for "training" purposes as you require so the next best option are the cordless & corded options (listed below as examples) so that both the "trainer and trainee" can use their headsets;

For wireless headsets;

plantronics 03929-63 Wireless Headset Training Adapter

For corded headsets;

Plantronics Y Cord Training Adapter 27019-03

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Christopher,

With the 7900 series phones like the 7942, this behavior was actually considered a bug up until the 8-5-x firmware release. I truly believe that they couldn't come up with a fix for this unexpected issue that some people loved & desired and other hated & despised so they just made it an actual feature ;

CSCsr65970 - Feature to turn on/off audio played to handset while on headset

Description

Symptom:
If you listen closely, the phone will play the audio to headset and handset simultaneously
at all times.

Conditions:
It happens on all 79XX phones until firmware 8.3(5)

Workaround:
This is a product specific configuration now available under CCMAdmin > Device > Phone for 79X2 and 79X5 phones.
Handset/Headset Monitor:

When  handset/headset monitoring is enabled, a supervisor can pick up the  inactive handset/headset and hear the call in progress. For example, if  an agent is on a call on the headset, a supervisor can hear the other  party on the handset. Only the microphone on the active handset/headset  is in use. For example, if an agent is active on the headset, then the  headset microphone is active and the handset microphone is disabled.

Details

First Found in:                          (2)

8.3(5),8.5(2)

Terminated

Last Modified:

Nov 09,2012

Product:

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7900 Series

Platform:

Dependent

Severity:

6 - enhancement

So, if you look on the Device page for a 7942 under the

Product Specific Configuration Layout

you will find;

Handset/Headset Moitor - enable/disable

This setting is not available on any of the newer IP Phones as you have discovered

In most cases people wanted this capability for "training" purposes as you require so the next best option are the cordless & corded options (listed below as examples) so that both the "trainer and trainee" can use their headsets;

For wireless headsets;

plantronics 03929-63 Wireless Headset Training Adapter

For corded headsets;

Plantronics Y Cord Training Adapter 27019-03

Cheers!

Rob

Good Evening All,

Thank you very much Rob for your detailed answer, this is exactly the sort of answer I was looking for.

We appreciate your assistance.

Kind regards,

Christopher Hawkins

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rob is absolutely correct as always :) that the feature (Handset/Headset monitor) you are looking for was indeed available in 79xx phone models wherein audio was on the same circuit/audio path for headset and handset. However, this feature had not been implemented in the new phone models i.e., 89/99xx, 88xx, 78xx from day one and there are no plans either for the same unfortunately.

You can perform silent monitoring and recording and also utilize local barge to support this functionality, but having the ability to listen on both handset and headset on the same device/audio path at the same time is no longer designed and there are no plans as far as I know to include this functionality in future.

Regards

Deepak

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Christopher,

Glad to be of some small help here my friend! It's always a pleasure dealing with kind people like you and Deepak (+5 "D" for your excellent additional details here).

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: