Views
Helpful
Replies

handset of some phones only work after pressing call key

sandysp4u
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Friends, 

I have this typical issue in some of my 7841 and 7821 phones registered with cisco cucm 12.5.1 

The phones are registered properly but in some phones when user pick up the handset to call he don't get dial tone, for dial tone he have to press the call key on the phone keypad only then he can dial and make the call without any issue. I tried resetting the phone but it didn't help 

any kind of input is deeply appreciated  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This would conclude that the micro switch in the cradle is faulty or that the spring that lifts up the block that should be “released” when you lift the handset don’t have enough tension. As this is a mechanical thing you could try to “massage” it, aka make it go smoother, to see if it helps. Or if you have the device covered by support contract do an RMA as @Nithin Eluvathingal suggested.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Can you check on the back side of the phone ,that  the headsets are connected on the handset port and not the headset ports.

Try changing the headset or cable used. I have seen cables and even the headsets going faulty.

Response Signature

Yes I have checked it and tried everything nothing worked 

Do you see anything happen on the phone when you lift the handset? Does the phones “react” to the handset being lifted? If not you likely have an issue with the switch in the cradle of the handset.

Response Signature

I can't remember this i will check this tomorrow and will let you know thanks. 

Hi Roger,

I checked it and the phone has no reaction when we lift the handset. 

Is there anything else I can do?

If you have a valid smartnet, I suggest to initiate RMA.

Response Signature

This would conclude that the micro switch in the cradle is faulty or that the spring that lifts up the block that should be “released” when you lift the handset don’t have enough tension. As this is a mechanical thing you could try to “massage” it, aka make it go smoother, to see if it helps. Or if you have the device covered by support contract do an RMA as @Nithin Eluvathingal suggested.

Response Signature

Ok everyone thanks for the help. 

I will try to do a little tweaking and see if it works or else I have a smartnet and will raise a case in cisco 

thanks again for the support