Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone 7961 screen blank after reset 3491672850*#

Bienvenu Ngala
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was upgrading 2 cisco 7961 ip phone for my home lab using CME 7.1, the upgrade went smoothly for the first one.  But  the second one displays " upgrading " forever.

After 1 or 2 hours nothing changed, so I decided to reset it to 123456789*0# nothing worked finally I tried 3491672850*# the screen went completly blank and that was the end of the story . But another one still working perfectly on the same network, same system ...

Please I need help to how to bring my phone back from the dead.

Best regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did you check these prerequisits?

Before you perform a factory reset, ensure that the following conditions are met:

The phone must be on a DHCP-enabled network.

A valid TFTP server must be set in DHCP option 150 or option 66 on the DHCP server.

The term61.default.loads file or the term41.default.loads and the files specified in that file should be available on the TFTP server that is specified by the DHCP packet.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7961g_7961g-ge_7941g_7941g-ge/7_0/english/administration/guide/7961trb.html#wp1031705

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are many, many threads on the subject, if you could take the time of searching and reading them before asking.

piyush aghera
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello,

Do a factory reset with first of your methods and then follow below:

- Clear CTL and ITL files from settings -> Security settings -> Trust list

- Enable alternate TFTP server and then enter the TFTP IP address in "TFTP server 1" field

This will clear any previous configuration from the phone completely and will download fresh configuration files.

***** please rate all useful posts

Do a factory reset with first of your methods and then follow below:

- Clear CTL and ITL files from settings -> Security settings -> Trust list

- Enable alternate TFTP server and then enter the TFTP IP address in "TFTP server 1" field

This will clear any previous configuration from the phone completely and will download fresh configuration files.

***** please rate all useful posts

OP's phone has blank screen. Unlikely to access any menu under that condition.

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did you check these prerequisits?

Before you perform a factory reset, ensure that the following conditions are met:

The phone must be on a DHCP-enabled network.

A valid TFTP server must be set in DHCP option 150 or option 66 on the DHCP server.

The term61.default.loads file or the term41.default.loads and the files specified in that file should be available on the TFTP server that is specified by the DHCP packet.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7961g_7961g-ge_7941g_7941g-ge/7_0/english/administration/guide/7961trb.html#wp1031705

OK, what if I did not check the pre-reqs, the screen is blank, none of the buttons work, now what?

Mark Mangan wrote:

OK, what if I did not check the pre-reqs, the screen is blank, none of the buttons work, now what?

Then you create the requisites, and obtain more info searching on the subject,

I am in a similar situation however I have all the requirements in place.  Had a phone that was randomly switching to registering, thinking it was corrupt firmware I did a normal 123456789*# and had the same issue.  Did a hard reset using 3491672850*# and now after the reset I have a blank screen and about every 5 minutes the speaker light goes lights for about 10 seconds.  I am kind of thinking this phone is bricked (and had serious problems before).  anyone seen this?

Thanks!

Blake,

If you are certain that you have a valid DHCP server, with te correct tftp ip specified, then you need to look at the firmware on the phone and the firmware on your server. It may be too high to upgrade to from your current firmware. In that case you will need to use a lower firmware.

Start by doing a debug tftp events on your ccme. What does the debug say..What files is the phone requesting?

Have a look at this thread...It will help you find a solution..

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3712835

Please rate all useful posts

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Please rate all useful posts

Paolo,

Your comments do not help in any way, fashion or form. You are just wasting bits