cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone Firmware Upgrade Question

bwolf
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to upgrade the firmware of my 8851 IP phones.  Some of the info I've found regarding the process say to use an SFTP transfer of the firmware files to the root directory.  I was wondering why they suggest to do it this way, is there something wrong with going to OS Admin Software upgrades -> TFTP file management and just uploading the files there?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That depends on what you're doing, if you want to use the COP file, you need to install it, not just upload it to the TFTP.

If you got the zip file with the FW files, then you can manually upload them to the TFTP.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
That's right. Upload the contents and restart the TFTP service just in case.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
You can do it through OS Admin > TFTP. Go back to CCM Administration > Phone > Device Defaults and switch the new firmware.

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That depends on what you're doing, if you want to use the COP file, you need to install it, not just upload it to the TFTP.

If you got the zip file with the FW files, then you can manually upload them to the TFTP.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Awesome, thanks.  Yeah, I think that was the confusion I was having.  I have the zip file, which is full of .sbn files and a .loads file.  I'm assuming I should just go ahead and upload the full contents of the zip file?

Thanks again!

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
That's right. Upload the contents and restart the TFTP service just in case.