Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Multi-Line and Voice Mail for Shared Lines

catkins101
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My company recently moved to 12.5 versions of UCM, IM&P, Unity and UCCX. One big reason for this was the multi-line feature in Jabber. Prior to this version we could only outfit our agents with CIPC solutions for softphones. When these agents were on desk phones and CIPC they had multiple lines in some cases. One personal line, one IPCC and sometimes a shared line where the department mailbox was located allowing for MWI notifications that voice mails were left. With this new version of Jabber, there does not appear to be MWI or notification that a voice mail is in the mailbox. From what I have read, the Jabber client only shows notifications for the primary line. This causes a couple of issues for us. First is that the primary line on all agents in CCX is the IPCC line and not their personal line. So, they will not see that they have a voice mail waiting on their personal line. The IPCC line does not have voice mail. Second, the shared lines that some agents have assigned also do not show when voice mails are in the department mailbox. Before, the desk phones and CIPC had MWI or voice mail icons represented on each line.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am having a hard time figuring out a solution to this. Many of our CSQs in CCX give an option to leave a voice mail instead of wait in queue. The only thing I can think is to set Unity to send an email to a distribution list, which will alert agents that voice mails are waiting in the department mailbox. Either that, or agents would need to randomly check the mailbox throughout the day.

5 Replies 5

For the first part of your question you should be able to set a different order of the directory numbers on the CSF devices so that the personal line is the first one to get notified when there is a message in voicemail. The order of lines are device specific, so you can set it up differently one the devices that each person has. If the notification for the shared department mailbox is considered more important you could set that as the first line in the CSF device.

Response Signature

It still sounds like an either/or choice on which line can see voice mails. Some agents need to see both the personal line for voice mails as well as the department line voice mails.

In our environment, the first line on the CSF device for call center agents is the IPCC line for call recording reasons. We like to do our best to ensure that agent calls are being recorded by making the recorded line the default. When they make outbound calls, they fail to choose the recorded line many times. So, it is default line 1 when Jabber auto starts. We do not record their personal line. If they make an outbound work-related call by mistake using that then the call would not be recorded.

The department line with the voice mail box is where calls roll when the IVR caller is tired of holding in a CSQ (UCCX) and chooses to leave a voice mail instead of wait. The voice mails need to be handled but there is no indication in Jabber that this line has pending voice mails. This line is not used for outbound calls. It was only added to the phones of certain agents so they could see the MWI or voice mail icon indicating a voice mail was waiting. This does not seem possible with the Jabber client, though.

Line 1: Recorded IPCC

Line 2: Non-recorded Personal Line

Line 3: Non- recorded Department Mailbox

AFAIK since Jabber uses IMAP to retrieve voicemails, only one account can be accessed at a time. So you'd have to pick between the IPCC line and the personal line.

As a workaround for the Department Mailbox, if you had calls to that line go to a call handler rather than a mailbox you could set the voicemail target of the call handler to be a System Distribution List and use the "Dispatch Delivery" checkbox. (So a copy of the VM goes into the VM box of each member of the list, but once someone accesses the VM it is 'withdrawn' from the other VM boxes).

Maren

Interesting idea, but I would still have the issue with agents not seeing that there are voice mails waiting, albeit in their personal mailboxes instead of the department mailbox. The primary line on the CSF device is the IPCC line, not the personal line. 

For the Departmental voicemails, if you did the call handler with dispatch delivery the voicemails would show up in each user's personal voicemail box (and, again, once one person has dealt with a department voicemail the copies in the other users' voicemail boxes would be withdrawn). So user's would see a notification that there is a new voicemail in their personal voicemail box, although they wouldn't know if it was a personal VM or a 'Department' VM.

And the System Distro list could point the department calls to the IPCC voicemail box instead of the personal box.

It doesn't solve the underlying problem of only seeing notifications for one line, though.

Another possibility would be to set up a message notification for the personal box to maybe send an email or a text message or something when a new voicemail comes in. The notification wouldn't be on the Jabber client, but there would be notification.

That said, it would be nice if Cisco had a mechanism to allow multiple VM notifications in Jabber. I wish I had a real solution for you.

Maren