cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New CUBE License question CUBE-T vs CUBE-L

Ben Rodriguez
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning a new CUCM environment with an ITSP that will connect via a CUBE. CUCM <-> CUBE <-> ITSP, it looks like I will need the CUBE-T-RED license. The two questions I have are do I need 40x licenses per HA pair for 40 trunk sessions? My reseller quoted double per HA pair. I think it should be 40x CUBE-T. Second question is would I need the CUBE-L license for any reason? In what scenario would the lineside license be used? Would that be where my ITSP is the call control endpoint? I tried to look this up but the updated licensing doesn't have a lot that I can find. The link below isn't helpful. CCW doesn't show much more than that either.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/unified-border-element/data-sheet-c78-729692.html#Licensing

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you have 2 CUBE routers and you are looking to have a total of 40 sessions, with redundancy, you need to purchase 

40x CUBE-T-RED total. You do not need to buy that for each CUBE router.

I think that is what you were asking.....?

Steve

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there

CUBE-T is CUBE-trunking which is One trunk session license. This interfaces with your ITSP. A typical scenario, where you register your phones to your CUCM and connect to ITSP using your SIP Trunk

CUBE-T-STD is without redundancy
CUBE-T-RED is for double box redundancy.

CUBE-T-STD.png

CUBE-L-STD is line session licenses
CUBE-L-RED is line session redundancy.

In this case, you register your endpoints over the cloud. No CUCM/PBX on premise. The line sessions allow the phones to register to cloud thru the secure CUBE.

CUBE-L-STD.png

Hope this Helps

Cheers
Rath!
***Please rate helpful posts***

If you have 2 CUBE routers and you are looking to have a total of 40 sessions, with redundancy, you need to purchase 

40x CUBE-T-RED total. You do not need to buy that for each CUBE router.

I think that is what you were asking.....?

Steve

Thanks everyone. Both replies were helpful. They confirmed what I was thinking

Hello,

This might be late response. But my understanding is if the CUBEs are in different location (Or different LAN) then you will need the CUBE-T-STD for both CUBEs. In order for the  CUBE-T-RED to work, you will need both CUBEs on the same LAN.

Hello,

The next question would be about smart licensing registration:

how to register two redundant ISR 4331 chassis for one CUBE-T-RED license when using an IOS v 16.12.02?

The following CSSM registration shows no compliance for the properly registered CUBE2 and missed chassis Licenses for ISR 1 and 2, but CUBE-T-RED is recognized only for the first registered chassis.

What are the supplementary steps to have two ISR 4331 with  HA and CUBE-T-RED properly recognized and licensed on a smart account ?

Here are the license summaries  after registration of the chassis with own token IDs.

## ISR4331 - CUBE1

License Authorization:
Last Communication Attempt: SUCCEEDED
Next Communication Attempt: Nov 28 05:15:49 2019 CET

License Usage:
License Entitlement tag Count Status
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ISR_4331_UnifiedComm... (ISR_4331_UnifiedCommun...) 1 OUT OF COMPLIANCE
ISR_4331_Security (ISR_4331_Security) 1 OUT OF COMPLIANCE
CUBE v12 Trunk Redun... (CUBE_T_RED) 30 AUTHORIZED

## ISR4331 - CUBE2 in HA Mode

License Authorization:
Last Communication Attempt: SUCCEEDED
Next Communication Attempt: Nov 28 05:35:54 2019 CET

License Usage:
License Entitlement tag Count Status
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ISR_4331_UnifiedComm... (ISR_4331_UnifiedCommun...) 1 OUT OF COMPLIANCE
ISR_4331_Security (ISR_4331_Security) 1 OUT OF COMPLIANCE
CUBE v12 Trunk Stand... (CUBE_T_STD) 30 OUT OF COMPLIANCE

Cheers,

Jacky

This might have been better posted as a new question. But, did you ever get this resolved?

Ryan