cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shared line sometimes does not ring on some phones

vincehgov
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having a strange issue that appeared a couple of weeks ago.  I have not made any upgrades since October so I don't think that's the issue.  I'm running CUCM 8.5.1.15900-4.

The issue is that one of my phone's shared line appearance does not ring while the others are ringing.  It seems like that phone is omitted from the broadcast sometimes.  This doesn't happen all the time.  Most of the time, all the phones with the shared line appearance will ring.  I'm not sure if it is only happening on this phone.  It is very hard to reproduce.

Has anyone had this issue?  What are some debugs I can collect to show what physical phones CUCM is ringing when the calls are coming in.  I want to confirm that it is omitting that particular phone.

Vince

17 Replies 17

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Review the Ring settings on the DN of the phone that is reporting issues, there is Ring for Idle and Ring for Active states.

Chris

Hi Christ,

They're set to System Default.  In the system service parameters, they're set to Beep Only for busy and Ring for idle.

Hi Vincent.

Check through route plan report, if the shared line is only on desired devices or other device or Route Pattern is using that DN.

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Hi Carlo,

It looks like the shared line is correctly mapped to the correct devices.  However, it is strange that this behavior doesn't seem deterministic.  It is only happening sometimes.

Vince

I know this is an old post, but we are experiencing similar behavior in our environment with intermittent ringing on shared line phones as describe above. Were you ever able to find a resolution?

Hi Jeff,

I never went as far as to open a TAC case.

Most things I tried have corrected the issue temporarily (resetting the DN in CUCM, resetting the phones, upgrading firmware). I acutally upgraded CUCM from 8.6 to 9.1.2 just under a year ago and haven't had the "ringing" issue on the shared line since then. Not entirely sure if that was the reason though.

Since that upgrade I have other issues with this same shared line, most notably held calls not showing up on all the phones at intermittent times. 9 times out of 10 resetting the DN corrects this for about 6 months. That other 1 time, a reset via CUCM doesn't actually reset the phone and I either have to physically unplug power from the phone or do a shut/no shut on the switchport (effectively power cycling the phone).

I've created a job under bulk administration that resets the phones once a week (during closed hours). My thinking was these phones are like computers and need to be rebooted every now and again....

Thank you Chris, appreciate the response. I opened a TAC case and will let you know if anything is accomplished.

Hi Carlo,

The issue happened again today.  It turns out that many phones are omitted from the first line group.

Vince

Chris Penny
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issue. We have CM version 8.6.2.20000-2.

I have three phones (model 9951) with the same line programmed as their only DN. 99% of the time, on incoming calls all three phones ring. Occassionally, one phone will not ring while the other two do ring. It seems to be the same phone that will not ring and it seems to be very random. All phones are set up exactly the same way and the ring settings are set to RING on idle and FLASH ONLY on busy.

saif musa
Level 4
Level 4

Try reseting DN file inside callmanager.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Hi Saif,

How would we go about resetting the DN file?

Vince

I'm pretty sure I've reset the DN before, but I honestly cannot remember. I may have just reset each phone individually.

I've reset the DN this morning and will update if I continue to notice the intermittent issue.

Thanks

Since I've reset the DN a few days ago, the user reports that her phone is still not ringing at random times while the other phones with the shared line DO ring.

saif musa
Level 4
Level 4

BY USING CM GUI
CM administration then call route choose directory number
Wirte down shared DN in search bar. Click search. The result is DN file choose it then click reset bottom.
Inform us if that helps

Regards

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App