cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traces needed to debug a SIP trunk ?

andyhibbert
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to debug a SIP trunk between a CUCM 7.1.5 system and a Lync 2010 mediation server.

I'd like to establish that the SIP trunk has been established, and that calls are being sent down the trunk to Lync.

I have no access to the Lync system.

I've set up the Trace Filter Sessions for Publisher and Subscriber to "Enable SIP Call Processing Trace"

Are any other trace fields useful for debugging SIP?

I've collected the trace files using the RTMT tool. There seem to be a large number of files copied to my PC.

Which file(s) containg the SIP information?

Thanks

Andy

5 Replies 5

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

To be honest, I'd not use RTMT for this. I'd stick to port mirroring and wireshark. Wireshark is real-time. RTMT imposses a large (relative) delay in getting at the traces. Plus, the RTMT logs will have bucket loads more stuff in there, so trying to tease out the bits you want is much harder.

I'd only investigate the RTMT SIP logs if you thought CUCM was mis-handling the SIP packets based on your configuration.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Thanks for replying.

I would agree but unfortunately I have access to the CUCM cluster only. No access to switch infrastructure and no access to the Lync hardware. At this stage just knowing the SIP trunk was up would be a bonus.

Andy

gbljoba
Level 1
Level 1

you could use session trace based on the called or calling number. I use that in rtmt for quick debugs. It puts the results in a nice format to send to other parties.

Jon

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks for replying.

I have a suspicion the CUCM I'm working with (7.1.5) won't allow me to do this. I couldn't see the enterprise parameter

Enable Call Trace Log to enable. I'll take a closer look at this though.

Andy

Anthony Ortiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Andy,

Be sure to set the level of trace to detailed or debug and not just error.  When you get the sdi traces from RTMT open one file in notepad++.  There is an option to search files in the whole folder.  Search the files for the called #.  I search dd="xxxx", where xxxx is the called number.  There will be a unique call id # assiociated with the call.  Then you can search the file by that call id # and you will see the invite,trying, ok, and so on.  You will also be able to check if the mesages are sent udp/tcp and what port they are on, default being 5060.

Thanks,

Anthony