Views
Helpful
Replies

TRAI India Regulations regarding VoIP

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Guys,

Has there been any change in the TRAI regulations lately? Can someone please update me with the latest rules on what is allowed and what's not allowed? As far as I have researched, mixing of VoIP and PSTN is not allowed.

Can we a have a conference bridge in India with users dialing from their IP phones or Lync Clients and at the same time some external parties joining that conference? I am not looking at toll by pass - just a means of establishing a local conference in-dial number in India, which can have a mix of both the internal users (IP Based) and external PSTN based users joining the conference.

Is there any possibility to use SIP Trunking as well in India?

-Terry

27 Replies 27

Hi Vivek,

Hoping you might be able to help. Our current phone system is server based (Avaya IP) and it allows for VoIP phones. I have several internal extensions that use VoIP phones that are situated in other sites in the UK.

We have an office in Chennai and i want to know if i can place a couple of VoIP phones as internal extensions in the office there. As far as i'm aware the phone system does the VoIP conversion here in the UK so is my idea allowable?

Martin....

Hello all,

we are building a cluster for APAC include Singapore ,india ,Malaysia and  japan, we planned keep PUB in Singapore and sub in japan .phones will be registered from other counttries to this server.can i register a phone n india to a server in singapore.

is it legal under TRAI ?

what was the round trip delay f when we use cluster scenario?

regards

balaji b

Doesn't matter where the call manager is. TRAI regulations come into picture only in case of PSTN connectivity which you haven't mentioned. You need to look at the call between IP phones and PSTN.

- Vivek

Hi Terry,

With the below clause;

If the PSTN is in another country and a VoIP phone is in India and if connection results in revenue loss to Indian telecom service providers, the connection gets considered restricted.

This means that TEHO kind of calls can not be generated by IP user from Indian location as it will lead to revenue loss for Indian service providers. However in your case, Indian IP phone is not directly making a call to PSTN, indeed joining conference bridge which further connects to PSTN too.

Now it will lead to our interpretation to consider this scenario as allowed or restricted. With TRAI clause, I don't think we will be having direct answer in form of 'Yes' or 'No'. IMO to avoid legal issues, we should avoid this scenario.

Thanks

Vivek

Hi Vivek, 

I hope you are well & can possibly help me?

We are considering a new service but I am concerned about TRAI regulations & want to make sure this does not breach any rules.

The call scenario is call originated in India to toll free number (maybe international toll free) in India, routes to cloud contact centre in London which uses SIP trunks, the call would then route back to India being answered by Soft phones on Cisco CM. The reason I am unclear is that the SIP part is not in India so there would be no revenue lost locally.

If I have omitted any details please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I have scenario , need clarification.

I have sip trunk from TCL(this is only to make international call)

I have a pri trunk from Airtel.( Both domestic and international)

If I call international numbers through TCL sip trunk and can I conference in a domestic cellphone user via Airtel pri

AFAIK about TRAI regulations that should be allowed as it is two external parties that you’d want to conference with I assume an internal party as well. But you’d better check with someone that has full insight into the legality of the TRAI regulations.

Response Signature

Hello,

yes  I have the same thought . there is no revenue loss for any providers here . But I dont know whom I can conatct for this to clarify

Hello Vivek,

Thanks for posting all the legal information here. I have a doubt on the deployment, if you can clarify the same it would be really helpful.

We are about to deploy a Call manager server locally here in bangalore to register all our endpoints to the local server as per DoT.

If I have a server here in India location can I host remote brach site of my organisation which is outside of India? Means if the call manager is in Bangalore, can I configure a site which is outside of India like Singapore, China etc? Or the India call manager should host the remote branches that are in India location only.

It would be really great if someone can answer to this as it is becoming a huge confusion about the TRAI regulations here in India.

TRAI Regulation on Inbound outbound calling in Domestic Call centres in India As govt of India is promoting to create jobs in rural area's in Big way we are getting stuck as there is no clarity of making or receiving calls in our centers in Rural Area's  where there is no feasibility of PRI Scenario 1 The Remote center  with  no PRI feasibility:- Option 1 , Make the calls routed through internet  to nearest center having PRI feasibility & do outbound , Inbound Calls. In this scenario the call treatment , Origination/ Termination will not take place from same location or same state.  Is this allowed by TRAI?  Option 2 - Needs more clarity on making outbound calls using  GSM gateways.  Is this allowed by TRAI , if yes can we used normal SIMs or we need to go for  specialized for this purpose. While GSM  is an option of making outbound calls ( as long as TRAI permits )  Many of our customers are not ready to go for GSM gateways.   which means only option 1 is available. Can any one provide clarity on this.

Is there any recent changes in India TRAI Rule?

Can the user connect from Home through VPN and register the Softphone to India Cluster and make and receive the PSTN call through the Office based PSTN Line from home?

No changes that I'm aware of and we have a large presence in India, with local know how about the ins and outs of TRAI.

The answer to your question is it depends. For one if the users home is based in another region then the office where the PSTN connections resides then it is not allowed. But if the user home is located in the same region then is would be allowed, but it's then crucial that there is no possibility connect the call to/from PSTN with any VoIP services. Please note that the original recipient or endpoint making the call does not include in this no VoIP services allowed as that call leg would for sure be VoIP, but as long as it's only between the voice gateway and the endpoint it's allowed by the regulations in TRAI.

Response Signature

Thanks Roger.