Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice Gateway Upgrade for ISDN to SIP trunk (CUBE) migration

LibinBenedict
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am coming up with another question as part of the plans to upgrade the IOS on my voice gateways ISR 4431 from the current 16.3.6 to new version 17.x as part of the migration from MGCP to CUBE.

As per the CSR compatibility matrix, IOS XE version for the CUBE is IOS XE 17.3.3 (for CSR 12.5) and IOS XE 17.3.4a (for CSR 14), and the software downloads page mentions 17.3.4a as Suggested Release and MD. All the versions above this version are mentioned as ED.

The CUCM version is currently 11.5 which we are planning to upgrade later.

However, as per the EOL notices, 17.3.X is EoL.

Cisco IOS XE 17 - End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco IOS XE 17.3.x - Cisco

Can you please advise how can I go about this?

Thanks and regards,

Libin Benedict

5 Replies 5

b.winter
VIP
VIP

I would go with the recommend version, even if it doesn't fully comply with the compatibility matrix.

I have never seen or heard of a TAC, that a problem won't be troubleshooted, because the version of the used router, is not the one recommended / supported regarding the matrix.

I don't know anybody, that follows the matrix's recommendation regarding the CUBE version.

LibinBenedict
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @b.winter 

The thing here is that both the recommended version in CSR and the suggested release in software downloads are all EoL (since 17.3.x is EoL).

I assume we should not proceed to upgrade to an EoL version, correct? In that case, I should go with the version listed in the EoL notice for 17.3 under migration options which is version 17.6.1. But that version is still an ED. Should I prefer an ED to an MD?

Thanks and regards,

Libin Benedict

b.winter
VIP
VIP

You could still go with 17.3.4a, since it's the current MD version of 17.x and all the 17.3.x versions still have security support till Sep. 2023 and software support till Mar. 2027.

Until these dates, there will be newer recommended versions, for sure. And when they are, then you upgrade the router.

Just because the EoX notice is there, it doesn't mean, you shouldn't use them at all. As long as Cisco does the SW maintenance (here till Mar. 2023), it's good to go with it. Probably also till End of Security Support.

LibinBenedict
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you @b.winter . This is helpful.

I agree with @b.winter go with 17.3.4a version. FYI that’s the version we standardised on for all of our 4K (+120) gateways setup to run voice services.

Response Signature