Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP order of preference

Roel Reyes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, 

Im confused with the following documents on how bgp process updates and result on my lab

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/5816-bgpfaq-5816.html#one

For outbound updates the order of preference is:

1. filter-list

2. route-map | unsuppress-map

3. advertise-map (conditional-advertisement)

4. prefix-list|distribute-list

5. ORF prefix-list (a prefix-list the neighbor sends us)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/5816-bgpfaq-5816.html#one

123123123123123123123.PNG

When i tried on my lab the result is, it updates outbound using route-map

My route-map is used to filter network 100.100.100.0

and

My filter list to advertised all local routes on my AS (1.1.1.0   &   10.10.10.0   &  100.100.100.0 )

router bgp 1111
bgp log-neighbor-changes
network 1.1.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0
network 10.10.10.0 mask 255.255.255.0
network 100.100.100.0 mask 255.255.255.0
neighbor 192.168.1.2 remote-as 1111
neighbor 192.168.1.2 route-map Local_route-out out
neighbor 192.168.1.2 filter-list 1 out
neighbor 192.168.1.6 remote-as 1111
neighbor 192.168.1.6 route-map Local_route-out out
!
ip forward-protocol nd
!
ip as-path access-list 1 permit ^$
!
no ip http server
no ip http secure-server
!
!
ip prefix-list Local_routes seq 5 permit 1.1.1.0/24
ip prefix-list Local_routes seq 10 permit 10.10.10.0/24
!
route-map Local_route-out permit 10
match ip address prefix-list Local_routes
!

R1# clear ip bgp * soft out
R1#show ip bgp neighbors 192.168.1.2 advertised-routes
BGP table version is 8, local router ID is 10.10.10.10
Status codes: s suppressed, d damped, h history, * valid, > best, i - internal,
r RIB-failure, S Stale, m multipath, b backup-path, f RT-Filter,
x best-external, a additional-path, c RIB-compressed,
Origin codes: i - IGP, e - EGP, ? - incomplete
RPKI validation codes: V valid, I invalid, N Not found

Network Next Hop Metric LocPrf Weight Path
*> 1.1.1.0/24 0.0.0.0 0 32768 i
*> 10.10.10.0/24 0.0.0.0 0 32768 i

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The order of preference tells you which order they are applied to your route advertisements but they are all applied. 

So as Francesco says the filter list is applied first and allows all prefixes through and then the route map is applied. 

Jon

View solution in original post

@jon answered this question.
All are applied but they're applied in the order you have seen in the reference document you gave.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

That's normal you think it advertises prefixes based on route-map because:
- your as-path access-list filters locally originated prefixes (^$) which means only the 3 subnets as network statement (based on your bgp config)
- then a second policy filters only 2 subnets from those 3 based on your route-map/prefix-list
- finally the result you got is the sum of the previous 2 policies.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi,

So you mean, all filter(filter-list,route-map, prefix list) applied on neighbor will be executed? I thought only filter list or the one who is in first order of the preference.

Thanks,

The order of preference tells you which order they are applied to your route advertisements but they are all applied. 

So as Francesco says the filter list is applied first and allows all prefixes through and then the route map is applied. 

Jon

@jon answered this question.
All are applied but they're applied in the order you have seen in the reference document you gave.

Thanks
Francesco

Hemant Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Francesco's answer is correct.

The routes pass through the filter-list first and all three are allowed, but then the route-map filter is configured to allow only two, which is where the third route gets dropped.

Regards,

Hemant

We are confusing here with the routes and the actual traffic. 

The policy we are applying manipulates when the route is learnt in inbound meaning for the out traffic. and viceversa. 

I think its working as expected. 

R1-1.1.1.1-----------b-R2-a--------------R3 3.3.3.3

If my internet is at 3.3.3.3 and if I apply policy on "a" with route map so my traffic from R1 to R3 will be manipulated. 

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.

Not sure i follow you. What policy do you apply?

Also not sure it's related to the original question. Can you create a new post?

Thanks
Francesco

He is just confused between the function of dataplane and the control plane as we know the policy or filter list etc we apply we do it control the control plane updates to our Routing table from RIB in table, so the traffic from inside network will get impacted. 

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card