Views
Helpful
Replies

3750x multicast problem

markdd1978
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i have a problem with multicast flooding in our network.

We have two stacks of 3750x switches, on each stack connected Video servers (that get real video streams from IP cameras), each server has a number of IP cameras .This traffic is unicast.

We also have a viewing station that get the video from Video servers by multicast (PIM SM). Each IP cameras stream is a multicast group .

Viewing station and Video servers separated by vlans.L3 of Vdeo servers and viewing station and the RP is the 3750x switch himself.

My problem is:

1. I see that all multicast traffic is flooded throught all Video servers vlan (each time that vieing station wants to join to newIGMP group) whenever most of      servers not have those groups. Even if i connect my laptop to Video servers vlan i can see the multicast traffic . i have igmp snooping enable on all vlan       interfaces

2. The CPU of 3750X most of time on 50% with peaks of 80-90%

3. First time opening video (join to new m.group/creating new m.route) on vieng station is always corrupted for 1-2 sec and after it its works fine

my topology:

IP cameras-->PON network-->Aggregation switches (4948)--10G-->ASA5585-ssm20--10G-->Video_Swithes_3750X--->Video_servers(vlan x)

|--->Veiwng_stations(vlan y)

i cant find solution for that for a long time, i thought to move to PIM DM ? moving to to bidir-pim -  not help, still have a flooding.

thanks

mark

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mark,

You can try blocking Multicast on the interfaces you don't want to see Multicast. 

here is the command:

Under the physical interfaces:

switchport block multicast

than test again.

HTH

Reza,

"Switchport block multicast" blocks unknown multicast forwarding to the port.

Note

Only  pure Layer 2 multicast traffic is blocked. Multicast packets that  contain IPv4 or IPv6 information in the header are not blocked.

Which IGMP version are you using?

Alessio

its IGMPv2

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card