Views
Helpful
Replies

9200CX Console port - USB MICRO

netadminfhvi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

We have ordered some 9200Cx, but it seems that we need a micro USB to get to the console. Not the standard mini USB type B, but the mobile phone type USB Micro Type B.

A standard USB Micro Type B, doesn't work, even with the Cisco USB Driver, not serial port appears under the Ports (Com & LPT) list.

Am I missing something in terms of setup or do I need another piece of device? The install guide mention a "USB Type B to RJ45 adapter (CAB-CON-USB)", which is optional by the way. However I have some trouble in finding a reseller, or any détails on that piece of device.

Anyone got any clue, or shall i return my brand new 9200CX and return to my old (but fine) 3560CX???

thanks in advance for helping

23 Replies 23

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Have a look at this post. You just need a USB Mini B cable.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cisco/comments/10nmnk3/so_i_just_realized_there_is_a_usb_minitype_b/

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I use Baseus Cafule Micro-USB cable because they are reversable.

netadminfhvi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

thank you for the replies... I am not speaking about the MINI USB, latest routers/switches requires the MICRO USB. 

MICRO not MINI

And I am talking about Micro-USB.

Hi Leo, thank you for your response, sorry, I wasn't responding to you

I'll look at that one, thank you

hemmerling
Level 1
Level 1

Ever get an answer to this?
I have tried 5 different USB Micro-B cables and none work, none show up under Device Manager, hell none trigger anything of any kind. Is it a non-standard Micro-B cable or something?
We are NOT talking about the Mini-B on the front of a 9300, we are talking about the Micro-B on the front of the 9200CX and smaller 1111 model routers.  ("Micro-B" the one on newish cell phones (before C), not the one on PS3 controllers "Mini-B")
I would add that if it is a special cable, then Cisco needs to provide one or at the minimum provide information on where to get one.

Edit: I pulled another new one out of a different box and it worked perfectly, so I went back to the first one, and applied a little downward pressure to the plug, and it came up, released it and it went away. 
So it seems like there might be a production problem with these ports. (cold solder joints/bad socket)

9200CX  - this may be the one you pushing works, and may be damaged while in transit, Raise a TAC case for replacement.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

langobardo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am experiencing the same problem like others do in this post. I saw Cisco has no driver SW for Micro-USB-B console cable for9200CX ready for downlad. So I tried to install the driver which was mentioned in an other post (Silicon Labs: CP210xVCPInstaller_x64.exe) , but it isn't working. Tried on a non corparate laptop and it happend the same.

checked if there would be a bad contact of the cable, but this seems also not to be case. 

Can someone give me a hint how to bring to work to the driver, so that the console of 9200CX will be recognized by the laptop?

thanks in advance  

PS: solved it by using a Micro USB-B data cable of my Android cellphone, without having to install any other drivers. The Cisco Micro USB Console cable we used for accessing ISR Routers won't work either.

Douglas Holmes
Level 1
Level 1

Same problem here.  Using a standard USB Micro Cable.  It shows up under device manager but with indication it is missing the proper driver.  Minimal if all information included in the box.  Minimal at best information on the Cisco Website. 

DouglasHolmes_0-1688646044364.png

This should be easy. 

I had success after downloading this driver - CP210x Universal Windows Driver

https://www.silabs.com/developers/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers?tab=downloads

Go to Device Manager > Ports
Right-click on CP2102N USB to UART Bridge Controller > Update Driver > Search in downloaded Driver folder

Douglas Holmes
Level 1
Level 1

It says by my name Beginner.  I've been at this for over 20 years.  I have asked for assistance from my Cisco Rep.   I will keep my post up to date on progress and solution. 

Douglas can you provide an update? I am having the same issue and cannot find a resolution. 

Douglas Holmes
Level 1
Level 1

Don't have an update.  I purchased a mini to micro converter.  Didn't have good luck with it.  Then other work projects stuck their heads up and it went back burner for now.  I will check with someone today for an update.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card