Views
Helpful
Replies

Allow one interface to access a certain host on a different interface

dougken444
Level 1
Level 1

Dear networking experts, 

I have an ASA 5506-X and I use ASDM to manage the ASA. My end goal is to have a user connected to my Guest WIFI network access a host on my internal network. The job of the host is to authenticate the guest users and allow them to access the internet once the guest accepts our TOS. 

Background Info: 

I have multiple interfaces on the ASA, but the main focus is on 3 of them. 

Interface 1/2 - Inside security level 100

Interface 1/2.30 - GuestWifi (vlan30) security level 40

Intterface 1/3 - COMCAST (outside network) security level 0

GuestWIFI vlan uses a different subnet than the inside interface and uses the ASA as a DHCP server to issue IP address to clients. Right now, everything works, the users are able to connect to the guest wifi and obtain an IP address and surf the web. However, I want the guest users to accept a TOS before accessing the internet. The TOS is a web application installed on a server that is connected to the inside network. By default, in the guest interface, there is an Implicit rule created that will allow traffic from any source to any destination with a less secure network, see the image below. With this rule in place internet connectivity works, but the host is not accessible via the Guest Wifi. When I create an ACL to allow traffic destined for port 8843, it overrides the Implicit rule, and therefore the internet connectivity stops working. How do I keep the internet connectivity as wells allow clients to access the host to authenticate and accept the TOS? 

The NAT Rules are below: 

The ACL: 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hey,

Following config is missing.

access-group GuestWIFI_access_in in interface GuestWIFI

Spooster IT Services Team

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Hi 

one is to allow access from any to host at port 8843

second is to allow access from any to any less secure networks

Hi,

Thank you so much for your response. This might be a noob question, but every time I add an access-list it overrides the access-list that allows traffic from any to any less secure network. The questions what is the command or GUI element to add that access-list back? 

Hi dougken444,

Can you provide me the subnet information you are using for Inside and GuestWiFi. Inside host to whom you want to provide access to WiFi hosts.

Also the CLI output  of "show runn access-group".

So that i will help you with full CLI configuration.

Hi, 

The subnet for the inside network is 172.xx.xx.x/23

The subnet for the Guest WIFI network is 192.168.18.0/24

The CLI output is below: 

Result of the command: "show runn access-group"

access-group outside_access_in in interface outside
access-group GuestWIFI_access_in in interface GuestWIFI
access-group COMCAST_access_in in interface COMCAST

You can ignore the outside interface for now. 

Try the following CLI configuration:-

object-group network INSIDE_SUBNET
network-object 172.xx.xx.xx 255.255.255.254

!

object-group network TOS_HOST
network-object HOST 172.xx.xx.xx

!

object-group network GuestWiFi_SUBNET
network-object 192.168.18.0 255.255.255.0

!

access-list extended GuestWIFI_access_in permit tcp object-group GuestWiFi_SUBNET object-group TOS_HOST eq 8843

access-list extended GuestWIFI_access_in deny ip object-group GuestWiFi_SUBNET object-group INSIDE_SUBNET

access-list extended GuestWIFI_access_in deny ip object-group GuestWiFi_SUBNET any

I get an error when I run the commands below, any idea? 

access-list extended GuestWIFI_access_in permit tcp object-group GuestWiFi_SUBNET object-group TOS_HOST eq 8843

access-list extended GuestWIFI_access_in deny ip object-group GuestWiFi_SUBNET object-group INSIDE_SUBNET

access-list extended GuestWIFI_access_in deny ip object-group GuestWiFi_SUBNET any

Ooops Sorry,

It should be the following

access-list GuestWIFI_access_in extended  permit tcp object-group GuestWiFi_SUBNET object-group TOS_HOST eq 8843
access-list GuestWIFI_access_in extended deny ip object-group GuestWiFi_SUBNET object-group INSIDE_SUBNET
access-list GuestWIFI_access_in extended deny ip object-group GuestWiFi_SUBNET any

Hi, 

Thank you so much for the fast reply. I added the 3 access rules. The computer when connected to the guest WIFI network still cannot access the TOS host. As soon as the computer connects to the guest wifi, it opens the web browser and redirects to 172.xx.xx.xx:8843/guest/... and then I get "The Page cannot be displayed"

Is there any access list at Inside interface?

No, except the any to any less secure networks implicit rule. Also, there is a global implicit rule that denies any any IP

Add the following config and check that are you able to ping TOS host from wifi network.

access-list GuestWIFI_access_in line 1 extended  permit icmp object-group GuestWiFi_SUBNET object-group TOS_HOST

After adding that, I lost internet connectivity on the Guest Network. Before, I was able to ping the TOS Host by enabling ICMP via the GUI. 

Try to allow all traffic to TOS from GuestWiFi instead of tcp port 8843. Following is the cofig

no access-list GuestWIFI_access_in extended  permit tcp object-group GuestWiFi_SUBNET object-group TOS_HOST eq 8843
no access-list GuestWIFI_access_in extended deny ip object-group GuestWiFi_SUBNET object-group INSIDE_SUBNET
no access-list GuestWIFI_access_in extended deny ip object-group GuestWiFi_SUBNET any

access-list GuestWIFI_access_in extended permit ip object-group GuestWiFi_SUBNET object-group TOS_HOST
access-list GuestWIFI_access_in extended deny ip object-group GuestWiFi_SUBNET object-group INSIDE_SUBNET
access-list GuestWIFI_access_in extended deny ip object-group GuestWiFi_SUBNET any

Hi,

I added the ACLs below, I still can't access the TOS_Host and I can't ping it either. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card