cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does C9500-48Y4C-A support both SFP and SFP+ RJ45 module

yuanqiao58820
Level 1
Level 1

Does C9500-48Y4C-A support both SFP and SFP+ RJ45 module?

Have checked the https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/?npid=50 Cisco Optics-to-Optics Interoperability Matrix for combability, it is on the list.

But from Cisco commerce online configuration, there is no such option of cooper SFP or SFP+ transceivers.

Thanks.

11 Replies 11

The Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series switches, including the C9500-48Y4C-A, support a variety of SFP and SFP+ modules for different types of connectivity. However, it's important to note that SFP modules use LC connectors for fiber connections, while SFP+ modules use either LC or RJ-45 connectors for copper connections.

According to Cisco's data sheet for the C9500-48Y4C-A, this switch supports 48 10/25 Gigabit Ethernet SFP28 ports and 4 40/100 Gigabit Ethernet QSFP28 ports. The switch also supports Cisco SFP and SFP+ modules for various distances and types of fiber or copper cabling.

However, it appears that the C9500-48Y4C-A does not support SFP or SFP+ RJ-45 transceivers for copper cabling. This may be why you are not seeing these options in the Cisco commerce online configuration. Instead, you may need to consider using SFP+ modules with LC connectors and fiber cabling, or using a different switch model that supports SFP or SFP+ RJ-45 transceivers for copper cabling.

please do not forget to rate.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

RJ45 module?  - 1GB ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

9500 supports Cisco-branded GLC-T/TE and SFP-10G-T and will be highly dependent on firmware version.

3rd party GLC-T/TE and SFP-10G-T will have no restriction on firmware version.

Thanks a lot.

will keep it in mind.

they will ONLY support up to 8 SFP-10G-T in the whole switch per the cisco SFP Compatibility Matrix.

jm584y@att.com wrote:
they will ONLY support up to 8 SFP-10G-T in the whole switch per the cisco SFP Compatibility Matrix.

Yes and no. 

Like I've said before, use Cisco-branded optics and there will be limitations (like minimum switch software &/or bugs that only affects Cisco-branded optics), however, none of the limitations apply to 3rd party optics.

I concur with Leo Laohoo's findings... I have some of these exact model switches with way more than 8 Cisco coded 10G 3rd party copper 10G both RJ-45 and direct attach copper.

That is great but as long as Cisco limits the number of Cisco 10G SFP+ that are allowed on the device they are limiting how many I can connect to it. I am ONLY allowed to use Cisco made SFP's to our switches so NO 3rd Party SFP's are allowed.

jm584y@att.com wrote:
That is great but as long as Cisco limits the number of Cisco 10G SFP+ that are allowed on the device they are limiting how many I can connect to it. I am ONLY allowed to use Cisco made SFP's to our switches so NO 3rd Party SFP's are allowed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

William Eckler
Level 1
Level 1

I have a few C9500-48Y4C with a bunch of 3rd party Cisco coded GLC-10G-T-A 10G copper optics in it that work fine.  I also have direct attach copper cables that are Cisco coded on one end and Intel on the other for 10G.  On another note some vendors are selling programmers so you can code your own optics.  I've got one.  It can do SFP, SFP+, SFP28, and QSFP.

@William Eckler wrote:
On another note some vendors are selling programmers so you can code your own optics.

Our vendor gave us four of these "re-flashers" for free (because of the amount of business).  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card