Views
Helpful
Replies

eigrp trouble

Veance
Level 1
Level 1

Hey 

I connected two 3560 cisco-switches through their gig0/1 port. Wanted to use eigrp to make the routing connection work.

But when I do a 'show ip route eigrp' command , nothing comes up. In 'show ip route' I only see C's and no D's.  

ip route eigrp.jpg

ip route.jpg

setup.png

I will display the most important commands I made :

ip routing

int gig0/1 

no sw

ip address 192.168.0.3 255.255.255.0 ( the other switch I used 192.168.0.2)

router eigrp 1 (in both switches)

network 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.255

network 172.20.0.0 0.0.0.255 (in the other switch it was 172.30.0.0)

got the message of a neighbor that is up.

I used 'debug eigrp packets' and 'hello'packets were sent and received by the opposite port.

So I really don't know what's wrong. I first noticed because I couldn't ping from one side of switch MLS1 to the other side of switch MLS2. 

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Yes. But in routing protocols 0 means use exact match and 255 means ignore it (or it can be any number) The third octet is different for each SVI. So you need a .255 in the third and fourth octet.

Your network statement in the routing protocol will only match the Network 172.20.0.0/24 network. Same for the 172.30.0.0 network.

Chane it and delete your original network statements and let us know the outcome. 

-David

View solution in original post

They are the same including the IP addresses. 

You have the same IPs on both switches and it has been explained that you can't do this. 

If you want to run EIGRP between them you need different subnets on each switch and the only reason you see some EIGRP routes on switch 2 is because the L3 interfaces are not up on the other switch. 

To make it really simple, on each switch use different vlan numbers and more importantly different IP subnets because what you have is not something you would ever see in production. 

Jon

In one of your previous posts you shut down the interface VLANS that you weren't using on the opposite switches. You still have the same IPs on the interface VLANs and both networks on both switches. You CANNOT have the 172.20.0.0 and the 172.30.0.0 networks on both switches.

On MLS1 make sure:

All interface VLANS are in the 172.20.0.0/16 range (delete all 172.30.0.0/16 networks on this switch and replace them with a 172.20.0.0 network that doesn't overlap with the existing networks on the switch)

On MLS2 do the opposite:

All interface VLANS are in the 172.30.0.0/16 range (delete all 172.20.0.0/16 networks on this switch and replace them with a 172.30.0.0 network that doesn't overlap with the existing networks on the switch).

Make sure the PCs are in the correct VLANs and can Ping their default gateway. (Interface VLAN wont show as up/up I believe if there is not a host in it to keep it active). Unshut all the interface VLANS on both switches.

Key Point: Only the 172.20.0.0 networks should be on SW1 and only the 172.30.0.0 networks should be on S2.

Edited: Didn't see your post until after I posted @Jon Marshall. But we said the same thing.

-David

44 Replies 44

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post configuration of both switches please. 

Jon

Adding ACL's was supposed to be my next step, so no access list are added at this point

Hi

show ip eigrp neighbors detail

Can you see from both sides?

Veance
Level 1
Level 1

Yes I can, but I think that where You see a O , there should be 'D'

show ip eigrp neighbors.jpg

OK, 
try 
no auto summary 
since both network have same major subnet.

Tried that already on both sides,, but no show on the show ip route eigrp 

I created the same 8 vlans in both switches. But I use some in MLS1 and the other 3 in MLS2. So, there are vlans that are up/down because they are'nt used in that switch.

Please post the output of "show ip eigrp interface". A network statement in the "router eigrp" section doesn't create a route. What it does is use that to match interfaces. If no interfaces match the network statement then it won't advertise anything.

show ip eigrp interface.jpg

 pending routes is giving me zero?

Hello.

In your show ip route command all the networks (192.168.0.0, 172.16.20.0, and 172.16.30.0) are al directly connected. Which means all those networks are on that switch. Even if EIGRP is up and operational the device will choose the directly connected route over EIGRP due to a lower administrative distance.

Question. Do you have the 172.16.20.0 and 172.16.30.0 networks on both switches interface VLANs? Maybe like an HSRP setup? If that's the case you cannot have the same network like that on separate routers. It would need to be a layer 2 connection, not 3. 

-David

Veance
Level 1
Level 1

No HSRP setup .

The 172.20.0.0 network is at the other end of switch MLS1 and network 172.30.0.0 is on the other end of switch MLS2.  I use seperate vlans on both sides that I do have created on both switches. So vlan 10, 20, 30 and 40 are used on MLS1 and vlans 60,70, and 80 are used on MLS2. But I created them all on both swithes. Was that allright? 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card