Views
Helpful
Replies

fiber cable

bluesea2010
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

If I am laying cable in a campus building, which  fiber  mode ( single mode or multimode ) needs to be selected 

Thanks 

18 Replies 18

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

This depends. What distances are you looking at?

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Hi,

I am looking for a 25g uplink  within 300 meter 

Thanks

@bluesea2010 wrote:

Get an exact distance.  300 metre throw and 400 metre throw are different wavelengths already.  Do not make any guesses.  These distances must be accurate.  

300 metre might work for 10 Gbps SR but you'll struggle with 40 Gbps or even 100 Gbps.  

check this.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/at-a-glance-c45-739941.html

you can use SFP-10/25G-CSR-S with OM4 cables. make sure transceivers compatible with your devices.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Hi,

SFP-10/25G-CSR-S , require separate module  or I can plug in to  the same module sfp 10g SR ?

Thanks 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I prefer single-mode (make sure you have right optic when you buying)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

SM often is a better choice than MM, as it, generally, can support higher bandwidth transceivers than can MM.  (I.e. allows for providing higher bandwidth, on same physical link, down-the-road.  Also keep in mind, often the biggest expense with cabling, is the physical installation.)

Hi @Joseph W. Doherty

In future from edge switch to core , what are the expected data traffic in coming years 

Thanks 

"In future from edge switch to core , what are the expected data traffic in coming years "

Hard to say, as I recall when 10 Mbps seemed "so fast", at least compared to typical WAN speeds (i.e. when a full T1/E1 was also considered "fast").

With Ethernet I've seen it go from 10 Mbps to 100 Mbps (i.e. FastEthernet, or at least it once was, laugh), to 1 Gbps, 10 Gbps, and then fractional 10 Gbps (i.e. mGig), 25 Gbps and 100 Gbps.

Generally it's nice if you can upgrade (fiber link) bandwidth with optical transceiver upgrades w/o also needing to upgraded the cabling plant too.

The price of SM cable and SM optics is DOUBLE the price for MM. 

Depending on what speed the optics, MM can reach 300 metres at 10 Gbps optics.  

I am asking what is the EXACT distance because 300 metres may work with 10 Gbps optics it may not work with 40 Gbps (at 300 metres) and will definitely not work with 100 Gbps. 

If this site, for example, is going to be there for several decades, I would rather put down a minimum of TWO (2) x twelve pairs OS2 (SM) (diverse path) and plan the interlink for 100 Gbps.  

Be prepared to add circulator to maximize the the path. 

TIP:  Even though all strands are not being used, LIGHT UP ALL STRANDS.  (No one can "monitor" an un-lit strand.)

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Within 300 meters, Multimode works fine. Multimode can go up to 500 meters. The other thing that you need to know is that the price of a SM optic is a lot more than a MM optic. You may not notice it when you purchase 5 or 10 optics, but if you plan to purchase a larger amount, you will notice a big difference in your budget, unless budget is not an issue.

And one more thing, the use of SM is usually forced by providers on customers because mostly they lay SM fiber in the ground. 

Also, if you are planning on laying MM, make sure to install OM4. 

HTH

Hi @Reza Sharifi 

I could see the fiber optic 10g  single-mode price decreased a lot. In that case  for future  growth laying a single  mode is  better  than 

multi -mode ?

Thanks 

yes single-mode always preferred as the bandwidth usage goes up to 100GB and more soon or later even intersite and intra sites

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi,

SFP-10/25G-CSR-S will work 300 meter (om4)  depends upon fiber quality .what  quality exactly 

Thanks 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco