cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to stack an SG500 to (2) SG500x? is this doable?

EduardoRuiz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have 2 SG500x switches which are stacked together via SFP cables and we would like to add an SG500. Is this doable? If so, what changes do I need to make? Please advise. I have tried several things but have been unsuccessful. 

Thank you

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hybrid stack

A mix of SF500, SG500, and SG500X in the same stack (10/100, Gigabit, and 10 Gigabit).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWJgM2Bkxf8

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi, you can use hybrid stacking.

rate this and mark as answer, if this solved your concern

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Thanks for the reply.

Does this need to be configured on all the switches? Also In the initial setup I configure each switch with their own IP address, but I noticed that when they are stacked I can only ping the master's IP address. Is this a normal behavior?

Thank you

yes Stack means 1 switch as per most standard Stacking works ( not really hands on these models ? but should works in same way )

BB

Got it!!. What if I want to make changes to a port on the slave switch? How can I log into that switch web portal and make the desired changes, since the only way to do this is by its IP address?

Thank you 

Once they are part of Stack, all changes to be done in master, there is no need to do any changes in memeber or slave ( all the config will be replicated to members ) in general.

BB

I noticed that when they are stacked I can only ping the master's IP address. Is this a normal behavior?

Yes, that is normal behavior. When you stack multiple switches together, they all logically become one, and so you assign one IP for management.

HTH

EduardoRuiz
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for the late reply. I have successfully configured 3 SG500x switches and is working as intended. I configured one with an IP address and the other 2 copied the configuration. Unfortunately, I still can't get the SG500 to work with this stack. I know I was suggested to switch to Hybrid mode, this needs to be set in the master switch? I tried this and I'm getting the following message "at least 2 stacking ports need to be selected" not sure what i need to do here. Any suggestions? Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card