cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating core switch from 3750 to 6500

VAbr AVib
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning to migrate the core switch from cisco 3750 to Cisco catalysts 6513 switch. What could be the best approach to minimize the downtime or avoid disrupting the production. I have couple of thoughts, one method is to build the core and then replace the existing core, another option is to build the new switch as the second VTP server and once it recieves all the VTP information then disconnect the old server.

Please help me to finalize the plan, my intension is to bring up the new core layer without any issues.

6 Replies 6

Did you ever figure out how you where going to do the switch over?

jv

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

What kind of uplink does your core have?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

We have 2 1gb fiber ports to each of our distribution switches.  The 3750 stack has 2 12port SFP switches in it.  We are replacing some of our distribution switches with 4500 series switches.

jv

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

So how many fiber Sfp ports go to your ISP from your 3750 core?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

our 3750 isn't our router to the internet.  We have an ASA5520.  The 3750 connects to the internal port of the ASA5520.

jv

The designated core 6513 switch has 24 SFP ports, 4 10 GE ports, 96 GE ports & 96 FE ports. My plan is to have uplinks to other floor swtches using the 10 GE ports, and maintain the server network within the GE ports, SFP ports will be used for uplinks to the 3750, 3560 switches.

The switch over plan is that, i will build the core switch offline and during the migration i will replace the existing core with the new core switch. If al the client switches propogates the VLAN configurations properly then we will continue with the new setup else we will roll back.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card