cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RX Power low warning - and power granted to a port BUT does not

Steveosh72
Level 1
Level 1

We run 2960S stack. I have a error and a problem with a port.. The port gi2/0/5 is attached to an Aruba 225 AP. in the logg it says "%ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED: Interface Gi2/0/5: Power granted " but the AP does not get power.. The port is just programmed as a trunk port. all vlans allowed ..

The error i get int he logg file " %SFF8472-5-THRESHOLD_VIOLATION: Te1/0/1: Rx power low warning; Operating value: -16.4 dBm, Threshold value: -15.0 dBm."

does this mean because of the low power warning it shuts the POE to the port that has an AP ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Since it doesn't work anyway test the cable.
test cable-diagnostics tdr interface Gig x/x/x
show cable-diagnostics tdr interface Gig x/x/x

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The error i get int he logg file " %SFF8472-5-THRESHOLD_VIOLATION: Te1/0/1: Rx power low warning; Operating value: -16.4 dBm, Threshold value: -15.0 dBm."

If this is a fiber port, the error is cosmetic and does not affect the port's function. This error appears in many Cisco equipment with fiber ports.

Regarding port 2/0/5, can you hard set the port with the amount of power that needs to power up the AP?

power inline max <the max number needed>

HTH

the TE1/0/1 is the fibre port, was just thinking... i will hard code the 2/0/5 port and see. I tried power inline max. but didn't actually tell it the max number needed.

One more thing.  Usually, the APs are configured as an access port. Are you sure you need a trunk port?

we have multiple SSID's that each use different VLANS.  1 that is open, a generic password... 1 that uses Radius Server and 1 that uses certificates 

But the SSIDs and the associated vlans/subnet is usually configured on the controller and not the AP.

we have over 177 Ap's and all run the same configuration 

we normally only allow 4 vlans through ... but i took that off this morning, as a test.

as a test i made 1 port access. no change. power granted and then went down.

%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet2/0/5, changed state to down

guess the port might be bad. will try and move it to a new port.

Can you hard set the port switch port to whatever speed the AP supports?

Also, see this document. The only vlan you need on that port is the management vlan for the APs.  production vlans should not be configured on the APs themselves. See network diagram and sample configs.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/4400-series-wireless-lan-controllers/69719-wlc-lwap-config.html#aps

HTH

and when the ports are changed to access, none of the SSID work... always failed to obtain IP Address

when you connect to the AP when in access mode, it ONLY passes if the vlan is the same as the access port vlan .

since the other SSID's are other vlans. it does not pass the traffic.

it is controlled by a VC. ... nothing to do with a AP.

we just only allow 4 certain vlans across those.

sw tr allowed vlan XX.XX.XX.XX

We also use both uplinks and run the connections to the Ap with a Port-Channel

still shows " %ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED: Interface Gi2/0/5: Power granted "

BUT GigabitEthernet2/0/5 unassigned YES unset down down

michael.burke
Level 1
Level 1
Does the switch have enough available poe power? Maybe a cable diagnostics test from the switch to see if all the pairs are equal length and have continuity?

there are only 6 phones and maybe 3 Ap's connected to this switch. I do have power adapters that I was going to try the next time i am there

Since it doesn't work anyway test the cable.
test cable-diagnostics tdr interface Gig x/x/x
show cable-diagnostics tdr interface Gig x/x/x
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card