Views
Helpful
Replies

suggestion for stack switches

AbedB
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys

I'm searching to replace our Juniper stack switches to something supports three things in the same time:

- at least 4 100g interfaces (QSFP28) - could be in a expansion module.

- 48 RJ interfaces (1g)

- 48 SFP+ interfaces (10g)

all should be in the same stack.

I tried Juniper datasheets, but seems like there is no option for a switch or (mixed stack) switches that supports all those requirements in the same stack.

Does Cisco switches can provide what we need ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@AbedB wrote:
Could a combination of "2x C9300X-24Y" and "C9300X-48HX" be in one stack ?

Yes, C9300X-24Y and C9300X-48HX can be stacked together. 

However, I strongly urge you to reconsider using Catalyst switches, particularly those that run on IOS-XE, for server duties.  Why?  Because IOS-XE leaks like a sieve.  Catalyst 9k switches cannot operate straight without crashing every 14 to 24 months.  

If you are looking for switches for servers, look at Nexus.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

ewaizel
Level 1
Level 1

I recommend you split into a Cat9500 with fast interfaces and a Cat9300 aggregating the slow ones.

You can also explore using the new Cat9300X family. For example the C9300X-24HX.

Thanks

Could a "2x C9300X-24Y" and "C9300X-48HX" be in one stack ?

And then maybe I will add modular uplink: C9300X-NM-4C for 100G ports

Could this be possible ?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cat 9500 support - but limited 2 Two switches on Stackwise virtual per domain, you can create another SVL (if you like more)

Cat 9600 is the chassis (which can handle more cards and more throughputs)

Cat 9300 is normal standard stacking (required same family of Cat 9300 to stack)

(mixed stack) switches

we are not sure your definition of mixed stack ? 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Actually I came from Juniper side, they have there a mixed virtual chassis, means mixed stack, means you can combine different switches platforms in one stack.

Could a "2x C9300X-24Y" and "C9300X-48HX" be in one stack ?

And then maybe if I add modular uplink: C9300X-NM-4C for 100G ports for each switch in the stack

Could this be possible ?

yes that is possible, check to stack architecture and requirements for stacking :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/white-paper-c11-741468.html

BB

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@@Abed wrote:
- at least 4 100g interfaces (QSFP28) - could be in a expansion module.
- 48 RJ interfaces (1g)
- 48 SFP+ interfaces (10g)

Please provide more information about the requirement.

What are the downstream clients, are they PC, VoIP, or servers?
Provide a network diagram to this setup? 

C9500-48Y4C can support 4 x 100 Gbps optics and 48 SFP+ optics, however, the 9500 can only support VSS (2 units only).  

If there is a need to go to a very "dense" optics ports, then the options are to go down the Catalyst 9600 with Sup 1 (Sup 2 does not support VSS -- Go figure!) or Nexus.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

C9300X-48HX is only 48-port mGIG copper ports with uPoE. 

What about the other requirement of a 48-port SFP+ switch?

Hi Leo

I just edited my reply few seconds before you answered

And then maybe if I add modular uplink: C9300X-NM-4C for 100G ports for each switch in the stack. Could this be possible ?

AbedB
Level 1
Level 1

There is no much in a topology

It is a stack of switches which provide uplinks for, UCSs, ESXi servers, emc storage ...

There is no VoIP neither PCs

@AbedB wrote:

Yes, C9300X-24Y and C9300X-48HX can be stacked together. 

However, I strongly urge you to reconsider using Catalyst switches, particularly those that run on IOS-XE, for server duties.  Why?  Because IOS-XE leaks like a sieve.  Catalyst 9k switches cannot operate straight without crashing every 14 to 24 months.  

If you are looking for switches for servers, look at Nexus.

I appreciate your answer ! That's new to me an I will consider it.

Regarding Nexus, Could a combination of 93108TC-EX + 93180YC-EX be in one stack. If yes, then I think this could be a very good solution. as it has a combination of copper and sfp and QSFP28 ports.

Edit#2:

Acoording to some articles I read now, it is not stacking in Nexus, it is vPC, but the same logic. But they cannot be different models in one vPC.

93108TC-EX + 93180YC-EX be in one stack

These are DC switches, so there is no stacking here. as you mentioned the technology is used here vPC.

Guidelines and Limitations

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/6-x/interfaces/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide_chapter_0111.html#...

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card