Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Catalyst C9300-48T On stack

I have two switch C9300-48T on stack, now i need add other Switch memeber 3
My question is when i add switch member 3 is need a restart for the two switch en production

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@khalilsoltani47714 wrote:

My question is when i add switch member 3 is need a restart for the two switch en production

1. Read the Release Notes.  Different sub-models of the 9300 are supported in different firmware versions. 
  2. The existing stack must either be running Install- or Bundle Mode.  If the stack, for example, is in Install Mode, the new switch must also be in Install Mode (and vice versa).  
  3. The new switch must be running the same firmware version. 
  4. Power DOWN the new switch before the stacking cable gets attached.  Failure to heed this important step will cause the entire stack to reboot.  
  5. 9300 and 9300L cannot be stacked. 
  6. 9300X and 9300L cannot be stacked. 
  7. 9300X and 9300 can be stacked.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You should not need to restart the other switches. Follow the link below for adding a switch member to a stack

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-5/configuration_guide/stck_mgr_ha/b_165_stck_mgr_ha_9300_cg/managing_switch_stacks.html#con_1178943

HTH

thank you @Reza Sharifi 

I read this article, if I understood correctly the other switches in stack should not need to restart

That is correct. You should not need to restart the stack. That said, make sure you add the new switch during a maintenance window as you never know what can go wrong and it is better to be prepared.

HTH

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

you do not need to reboot the Live stack, you can add new switch to exioting stack.

You just configure new switch with switch number and priority ( make sure IOS Code is same as Live stack ) follow below guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-5/configuration_guide/stck_mgr_ha/b_165_stck_mgr_ha_9300_cg/managing_switch_stacks.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@khalilsoltani47714 wrote:

1. Read the Release Notes.  Different sub-models of the 9300 are supported in different firmware versions. 
  2. The existing stack must either be running Install- or Bundle Mode.  If the stack, for example, is in Install Mode, the new switch must also be in Install Mode (and vice versa).  
  3. The new switch must be running the same firmware version. 
  4. Power DOWN the new switch before the stacking cable gets attached.  Failure to heed this important step will cause the entire stack to reboot.  
  5. 9300 and 9300L cannot be stacked. 
  6. 9300X and 9300L cannot be stacked. 
  7. 9300X and 9300 can be stacked.  
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card