cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM upgrade from 11.5 SU3a to 11.5 SU11 Failed

Ivandy Muchlis
Level 1
Level 1

Currently we have issued when upgrade CUCM to 11.5 SU11. Sometimes the GUI process Install freezes, we try to refresh and the process is running again, but when the install process running for 3 hours and freezes again, suddenly when we refresh the install process cancels itself. The ISO unmounted from CD and we check CPU from RTMT is 99%. But the latest version has appeared in inactive version. I attached log install 

Please Advice for me 

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I believe you need this cop applied before Upgrade to SU8

https://www.cisco.com/web/software/282204704/18582/ciscocm.CSCvv21530-upgrade-fix_C0074-v1.cop-Readme.pdf

NithinEluvathingal_0-1699805117436.png

This COP file provides a fix to address the following issue:
CSCvv21530: Onmode Utility gets stucked due to stale references present for .infos shared memory file in
/partB
The 11.5.1SU8 release of the above Cisco products has a new version of Informix. An intermittent issue has
been discovered where the upgrade may get stuck due to a configuration file that already exists on the inactive
partition when the upgrade is attempted. When this issue is hit, the following will be seen in file view install
cancel.log:
07/22/2020 13:37:01 sd_cancelInstall.sh|This is not a COP, so will do IDS shared memory clean up if needed
on inactive partition
07/22/2020 13:37:01 sd_cancelInstall.sh|Stopping Partition B IDS
Installing the above COP file will allow the next upgrade attempt to succeed without issue

Response Signature

View solution in original post

Hi, 

Are you using local ELM server on CUCM or another instance?

Try to stop these services and install again 

Cisco ELM Admin
Cisco ELM DB
Cisco ELM Server

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Yes the installation finished successfully.

I remember I already encountered this in the past.

Please restart the node to clean the installation status and then switch the version.

Please let us know 

Regards

Carlo

14 Replies 14

Have you tried to run the upgrade from CLI?

Response Signature

Hi Roger, 

Ok I Will try Upgrade from CLI. 

Thanks For Advice and i will update soon 

I tried to upgrade again but there was a different error I attached the log and display error 

Error encountered: An unknown error occurred while accessing the upgrade file. Warning: A system reboot is required when the upgrade process completes or is canceled. This will ensure services affected by the upgrade process are functioning properly.

can anyone explain? Please Advice for me 

What is the SFTP/FTP software that you use to provide the file to your CM for the upgrade process? There has been many previous posts in the community about issues during upgrades and for the most it drills down to issues with the software used to provide the files.

We have since long selected to go for the option to use FTP as the protocol and have a FileZilla server to provide the file to the upgrade process in CM. This has worked well for us.

Response Signature

I believe you need this cop applied before Upgrade to SU8

https://www.cisco.com/web/software/282204704/18582/ciscocm.CSCvv21530-upgrade-fix_C0074-v1.cop-Readme.pdf

NithinEluvathingal_0-1699805117436.png

This COP file provides a fix to address the following issue:
CSCvv21530: Onmode Utility gets stucked due to stale references present for .infos shared memory file in
/partB
The 11.5.1SU8 release of the above Cisco products has a new version of Informix. An intermittent issue has
been discovered where the upgrade may get stuck due to a configuration file that already exists on the inactive
partition when the upgrade is attempted. When this issue is hit, the following will be seen in file view install
cancel.log:
07/22/2020 13:37:01 sd_cancelInstall.sh|This is not a COP, so will do IDS shared memory clean up if needed
on inactive partition
07/22/2020 13:37:01 sd_cancelInstall.sh|Stopping Partition B IDS
Installing the above COP file will allow the next upgrade attempt to succeed without issue

Response Signature

I don't think there are readiness COP files available for 11.5, but have you checked that the servers have enough available space? There are COP files to free up space from the common partition if you are low there.

Hi, 

Are you using local ELM server on CUCM or another instance?

Try to stop these services and install again 

Cisco ELM Admin
Cisco ELM DB
Cisco ELM Server

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Currently I have successfully upgraded CUCM Publisher via CD/DVD (Datastore) and through CLI with the troubleshooting steps as below:
1. Restart Cisco PLM DB and Server.
2. Install COP File Free Disk Space and Upgrade Fix

But when installing CUCM Subscriber through CLI I have a problem:
1. The session suddenly disconnects and tries to restart the session but it results in not being able to see the installation process.
2. After waiting for 8 hours the upgrade status was still installing but when I tried to collect logs the upgrade had been completed.

Do I have to restart CUCM Subscriber? any suggestions?
I attached the log

Hi,

Does the command show version inactive show the correct version you istalled?

Please let me know 

Regards

Carlo

Hi Carlo, 

show version inactive is version when i installed which is 11.5.1.23900-30(SU11) 

IvandyMuchlis_0-1700295082066.png

To me it looks like the upgrade has completed. What happens if you switch the version?

Response Signature

Yes the installation finished successfully.

I remember I already encountered this in the past.

Please restart the node to clean the installation status and then switch the version.

Please let us know 

Regards

Carlo

I have successfully upgraded 2 CUCM Subscriber nodes. When the status is stuck on installing, only collect logs to ensure the upgrade process has been completed. after that cancel the upgrade process "utils system upgrade cancel" and restart the nodes. During the switch-version process to 11.5(1)SU11 there were no problems.

thanks for all the suggestions.

Glad to hear that you have managed to complete the upgrade. With all the help you’ve got from a group of individuals on the community it’s not very appropriate to see that you’ve marked a couple of your own responses as the solution and that you don’t use the option for giving helpful votes to the responses you’ve got.

Response Signature