cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM upgrade to v14 fails due to insufficient disk space

drehstrom
Level 1
Level 1

I'm facing an issue while trying to update our CallManager from the latest 12.5.1 to v14. Running the preUpgradeCheck I alway get the message that there is not enough free space and update will fail.

I followed every findable guide to free up som diskspace but it's still not enough. What I have done so far:
- Changed the LogPartitionHigh(Low)Watermark to the lowest amount possible

- Changed CDR disk allocation, watermarks and file preservation to the lowest amount possible

- Deleted all Crash Dumps (there weren't any)

- Ran latest FreeCommonSpace.cop multiple times

I was able to free up about 27G but not a byte more. Check says it needs at least 31G to run the upgrade. Following the virtualization guide our needs not nearly scrape the possibilities of the small collaboration example (we have 20 users and about 50 devices) so the 80G partition should be more than enough - but obviously it isn't.

As I understand I cannot simply resize the vDisk but I simply refuse to upgrade the node to a higher OVA since it shouldn't be necessary.

So is there any other possibility to free up the last few megabytes to run the update with the current configuration?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks and have a nice weekend

6 Replies 6

drehstrom
Level 1
Level 1

Addition:

If there is really no chance to perform the update without using another OVA template containing a higher disk size, is there a guide how to do this and preserve all configuration?

Of course we have a daily backup from all machines using the builtin DRS.

Modify Low/High Water Marks in RTMT
 Delete unnecessary or old logs
 Use the cop file for free space 
Deleting older firmware of different devices in the system.

You can export the data from old 12.5  and  Do a fresh install of 14 on a 110 GB OVA.

Response Signature

Steven L
Spotlight
Spotlight

i would look at removing any unused firmware as well.

you could re-install 12.5 on a v14 OVA and restore using DRS that way.

Thx! That brought me over the hill. It wasn't much but it was enough. Will now update the ESXi to the necessary version and perform the update to v14.

Will get back to you with the results...

@Nithin Eluvathingal Where can I get a free_common_space 1.6? It seems Cisco is only providing 1.7 (which I used).

Use free_common_space 1.7.  

Response Signature

Try running the upgrade from a mounted ISO file as DVD instead of downloading the file via FTP or SFTP. That free up the space that the upgrade ISO would otherwise take on the file storage.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: