Views
Helpful
Replies

Other virtual platforms (Not VMware)

mmoulson1
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

I’ve got a couple of customers that want to take advantage of Jabber for everyone (free presence server) but they don’t necessary have a spare MCS server or a VMware environment to install in.

I have tried to install in Citrix XenServer but obviously it fails the hardware detection. I guess it would be the same for Microsoft Hyper-V.

My question is has anyone found a work around to the hardware detection? I appreciate it would be totally unsupported!

Thanks

Matty

4 Replies 4

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Matty

Yes, this can be done - however as you point out it would be totally unsupported.

PM me if you want some more details.

Just to confirm, I've never tried this under anything other than VMware so cannot confirm if it will install or work under XenServer.

HTH. BArry

Completely unsupported, so not worth exploring for production environment in my opinion. Not only do you need to do this on VMware ESXi 4/5, your hardware needs to meet stringent requirements as outlined on:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Before_You_Buy_or_Deploy_-_Considerations_for_Design_and_Procurement

HTH,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I’m totally with you. The customers view is, it’s only IM & Presence so if it goes down it’s not business critical.

Matt

I don't think you can even install it on anything other than Vmware as the installer checks the hardware and virtulized platform before it proceeds, I never tried it but I seriously doubt it would let you continue with anything other than bare-metal supported hardware or vmware. Honestly if I was you I would not waste my cycles trying to mess with it, because all customers say they are fine with it until something goes wrong and then they'll blame you for telling them it would be OK.

HTH,

Chris