cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C240 M4 Windows Server 2016 Installation on Intel Chipset connected SSDs

dbooth
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to install Windows Server 2016 on a C240 M4.  The server has 2 Intel SSDs connected to motherboard SATA ports, so disk controller is the Intel C610 Series Chipset/Intel X99 Chipset Platform Controller Hub (PCH).  I have managed to configure them as a RAID1 by configuring PCH SATA Mode as 'LSI SW RAID', but cannot get Windows Server 2016 to see this virtual disk.

Server firmware has been updated using HUU 3.0(3f).  SCU v5.0(3a) sees the disk controller under Server Inventory, but OS Installation does not present virtual disk as an option.  Booting direct from Windows Server 2016 installation disk also does not present disk, and attempting to load drivers from Cisco drivers ISO also does not resolve.  Can anyone please help?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What does your boot order look like?

Are you using Legacy or UEFI ?

Tyler P
Level 1
Level 1

Have you checked to make sure you have a valid configuration? 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C240M4/install/C240M4/raid.html

Thanks for the replies.  I found this document later on Friday which helped me resolve my problem.  Specifically it refers to the location of the correct driver for the Embedded RAID (<OS>/Storage/Intel/C600/) - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C240M4/install/C240M4/raid.html#37150 and I was able to install directly from the Windows Server 2016 install image after loading this driver (the server is in Legacy boot mode).

A bit frustrating that SCU 5.0(3a) OS Installation doesn't seem to load this driver as the same virtual drive was not available (even though SCU shows it under Server Inventory).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card