Views
Helpful
Replies

License Expired Graceperiod

SDavidson15
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I put in new licenses on my UCS domain and I'm getting the error grace period license expired. Will this impact my environment how can I get rid of this error.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Qiese Dides
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To solve the following issue you must complete the following steps.

1) Open an SSH/Putty session to your Primary Fabric Interconnect

2) UCS-B# show cluster state (Make sure this shows PRIMARY OK & HA READY)

3) UCS-B# connect local-mgmt  

4) UCS-B (local-mgmt) # cluster lead a (This is if the current cluster lead is B so you would want to change it to A, this forces a failover). (This might kick you out from the putty & GUI session, it’s an expected behavior. Just wait couple of minutes and re login)

5) UCS-A# show cluster state (Make sure PRIMARY OK & HA READY, check the new primary & subordinate)

6) UCS-B# scope license

7) UCS-A /license # show usage (It should show license OK)

You will not need any downtime. It changes the management role and refreshes the grace period counter. It takes only 10 minutes. However, if this is a production environment and everything is running smoothly I would recommend doing this during a maintenance window since this expired license should not affect production.

Even though the bug ID states that you can bounce the ports with the issue (shut / no shut) along. I have found that the fail-over has been more effective and has worked for the majority of the time.

If this doesn't work and the customer is still seeing the error and he is in a maintenance window another known work around would be restart the 'licenseAG' service this can be done with a pmon stop / pmon start command (Careful this is a very DISRUPTIVE COMMAND!).

However, their have been issues where even a failover and a pmon stop / start would not clear these critical errors and then the only way to fix this cosmetic issue would be to upgrade the UCS firmware version to 2.2(4b) or higher, this bug is cleared in this version.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

You may be effected by this defect:

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCui19338/?reffering_site=dumpcr

Give the workarounds a try and see if you can clear the grace period errors. If you are having issues, you may need to open a TAC case for further investigation.

Let me know what specific questions you have.

-Wes

hell Team,

Can this process will be applicable to Cisco UCS ESXI 5.X to 6 version upgrade as well.. Our demo license is going to expire in couple of days.. want to know the side affect of this.. and how quickly we can resolve it..

Hello,

You can look at the features that are being used with your license in vCenter/vSphere to see what will expire with the license.

The process outlined above is specific to port license in UCS and has nothing to do with ESXi license.

HTH,

Wes

Qiese Dides
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To solve the following issue you must complete the following steps.

1) Open an SSH/Putty session to your Primary Fabric Interconnect

2) UCS-B# show cluster state (Make sure this shows PRIMARY OK & HA READY)

3) UCS-B# connect local-mgmt  

4) UCS-B (local-mgmt) # cluster lead a (This is if the current cluster lead is B so you would want to change it to A, this forces a failover). (This might kick you out from the putty & GUI session, it’s an expected behavior. Just wait couple of minutes and re login)

5) UCS-A# show cluster state (Make sure PRIMARY OK & HA READY, check the new primary & subordinate)

6) UCS-B# scope license

7) UCS-A /license # show usage (It should show license OK)

You will not need any downtime. It changes the management role and refreshes the grace period counter. It takes only 10 minutes. However, if this is a production environment and everything is running smoothly I would recommend doing this during a maintenance window since this expired license should not affect production.

Even though the bug ID states that you can bounce the ports with the issue (shut / no shut) along. I have found that the fail-over has been more effective and has worked for the majority of the time.

If this doesn't work and the customer is still seeing the error and he is in a maintenance window another known work around would be restart the 'licenseAG' service this can be done with a pmon stop / pmon start command (Careful this is a very DISRUPTIVE COMMAND!).

However, their have been issues where even a failover and a pmon stop / start would not clear these critical errors and then the only way to fix this cosmetic issue would be to upgrade the UCS firmware version to 2.2(4b) or higher, this bug is cleared in this version.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card