Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS add vLAN Required Reboot

marknigh1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I recently had a strange issue come up.  We recently added some b200-m4 blades and put ESX on them.  We also have some M3 blades in the same ESX cluster as we are migrating off.  We needed to add a new vLAN to these blades, which is common.  I went through each nic (not currently attached to a template) and added the vLAN.  The older M3 blades took the change in stride without any other action.  However, when I added the vLAN to the new M4 blades it prompted for User-Acknowledge of a reboot to apply the change.  

My question is, what would cause a vLAN add on a vNIC to require a reboot?  I'm not sure I have ever been prompted to do so for that type of change.  I certainly don't want to have to reboot each time this happens as it would get old fast. 

Thank you in advance!

7 Replies 7

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

adding / removing a vlan should not require a reboot !

Hello Mr. Walter,

What about enabling the cdp or lldp on the vNic template "by changing the applied Network control policy"? does that require a reboot for the host or any kind of service interruption? Am currently using UCSM 3.1(3b)

Thank you

Changes on the network control policy generally do not require a reboot/re-ack to apply.

That's not to say that there may not be other upstream impacts such as in a scenario where connected to an ACI environment with a dVS that is heavily dependent on CDP/LLDP information.

Kirk...

Thank you KirK.

David Silva
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mark,

Walter is correct about the VLANs not requiring a reboot.

I have seen cases like this where there was some other pending change on the servers that did require a reboot to take affect. With those pending changes already queued up, any change to the service profile could prompt you for a reboot even if those changes are not production impacting.

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

See this other thread on how to detect why the server is asking for a reboot:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12603011/modifying-vnic-template-adding-new-vlan-400

This usually happens when there is something else requiring an update which is achieved by a reboot and is still pending somehow.

-Kenny

mariotorres1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

If I modify the mtu or fabric ID on vnic template (or any changues on my nic template) could request a reboot of blade server? 

Regards

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card