Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SBS/TAC support - CCA vs CLI

paul.nesbit
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

On two occasions, while on the phone with Cisco support (I can't recall whether it was TAC or SBS, I've been speaking with both), I was informed that beginning this January 2011, the only supported method for configuration changes would be the CCA. Which is fine by me, though I would like to know if this is actually the case. Can anyone here confirm whether this is known or documented Cisco policy? And if so, can you point me to any references to this policy?

Thanks,

Paul

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marc Bresniker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Paul, this was first communicated a few months ago with the objective of avoiding configuration challenges when some partners may have used Command Line in IOS for configuration in the UC500 and then gone back to using the CCA GUI for configuration or using the Office Manager end customer tool. CCA builds configurations in a very predictable, prescribed manor and it could ignore or overwrite some command line coding on the UC500 which can cause a lot of frustration for partners unaware of the limitations. See the page URL below (partner log in required) in the Partner Central site that links to some documents that explain the support policy.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/sell/smb/products/sbcs.html

The SBCS Feature Reference Guide is the key document that highlights all the spported features enabled by CCA and updated through release CCA 3.0.

www.cisco.com/go/sbcsfeatures

This was posted and communicated in advance last Fall. This is for new deployments of the UC500, previous deployments that may have used CLI will be supported. In this transition you should expect the support center to continue to work with our partner community in the near term on their deployment scenarios as the word gets out to individuals in the field that may have not seen the communications previously. We will also look to continue to communicate our support policies in multiple communication vehicles and clarify topics in question.

-Marc

View solution in original post

daviddun
Level 3
Level 3

Paul,

The SBSC (STAC) will support the UC540/560 product line focusing on the use of CCA to configure the unit.

TAC or traditional support will handle the UC520.

They should be able to support you using CLI or CCA

I hope the clears up on who to contact for which product.

Have a great day

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marc Bresniker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Paul, this was first communicated a few months ago with the objective of avoiding configuration challenges when some partners may have used Command Line in IOS for configuration in the UC500 and then gone back to using the CCA GUI for configuration or using the Office Manager end customer tool. CCA builds configurations in a very predictable, prescribed manor and it could ignore or overwrite some command line coding on the UC500 which can cause a lot of frustration for partners unaware of the limitations. See the page URL below (partner log in required) in the Partner Central site that links to some documents that explain the support policy.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/sell/smb/products/sbcs.html

The SBCS Feature Reference Guide is the key document that highlights all the spported features enabled by CCA and updated through release CCA 3.0.

www.cisco.com/go/sbcsfeatures

This was posted and communicated in advance last Fall. This is for new deployments of the UC500, previous deployments that may have used CLI will be supported. In this transition you should expect the support center to continue to work with our partner community in the near term on their deployment scenarios as the word gets out to individuals in the field that may have not seen the communications previously. We will also look to continue to communicate our support policies in multiple communication vehicles and clarify topics in question.

-Marc

Marc,

Thanks for the clarification.

Regards,

Paul

[Below statement revised to reflect correction.]

This policy apparently varies between UC500 devices. Devices supported by TAC (UC520) will continue to be supported regardless of whether they were configured by CCA or CLI; devices supported by SBSC (UC560 and UC540) should only be supported if the configuration was created with CCA. (While it may remain supported with use of CCA, effecting any changes with the CCA is not advised if the configuration was originally created by CLI.)

daviddun
Level 3
Level 3

Paul,

The SBSC (STAC) will support the UC540/560 product line focusing on the use of CCA to configure the unit.

TAC or traditional support will handle the UC520.

They should be able to support you using CLI or CCA

I hope the clears up on who to contact for which product.

Have a great day