Views
Helpful
Replies

10Gig Ports not coming UP on WLC 5520

gqadirmirza
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

I have connected my New Pair of Cisco WLC 5520 controllers with Nexus 7K. I connected Port1 & Port2 (10Gig Ports) from each controller back to Nexus 7K. Ports on the switch are part of Port-channel but when i look the status of the ports on the switch it is showing "not-connected". Please let me know what is the problem. I have enabled the LAG on the controller. What should i do in this case. Need help.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi
Cisco WLC 5520 doesnt support VPC on nexus just for the information. Also you need SFP-10G-SR, i used these to connect the ports. Make sure you enable LAG mode on controllers and reboot. Also connect your controller in this way:

1. Connect both port1 and port2 of primary controller in your Core A
2. Connect both port1 and port2 of secondary controller in your Core B
3. Configure both primary and secondary controllers for HA and make sure RP ports of both controllers are connected.

This topology worked for me without any issue.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you tried to restart the appliance?  If you initially had a 1gig sfp connected, the unit will not recognize the 10gig sfp.  Does the port come up if connected to another switch that is 10gig?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

We didn't use 1Gig SFP since beginning. Both ports are connected with 10Gig SFPs. Also i restarted the controller after enabling the LAG option. Management port is up and it is configured as vlan1000 on the controller and showing up. But 10Gig ports are not coming up. We haven't tired the other switch. We have the nexus 7K as a core. both ports on nexus are configured as 10gig ports and part of the port channel. Any thoughts that why the link is not enabled. please find attached the output from the controller. 

so i think i found the issue, i might be wrong but here is what i found. 

both port1 and port2 on WLC 5520 are 10Gig SFP model GLC-SX-MMD* and according to the deployment guide we need GLC-T in port1 if we are using GLC-SX-MMD* because port1 determines the mode of operation. I think either we need to use 1Gig SFP on both ports or use a different SFP+ for 10Gig connectivity. 

Please suggest. 

Thank you

The ports can use either 1G or 10G sfp's, just need to make sure the SFP model is supported. The unit has to power up with the SFP you want to use in port 1 and then port 2 will follow.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

hi Scott, initially i had plugged in SFP-10GB-SR-S to both the ports on the controllers and then X2-10GB-SR on the 4500 side, but the ports on the controller did not come up at all (i was using OM3 LC-SC patch panels)

then i came down to 1G , plugged in GLC-T to wlc and rebooted it / factory reset it, still the ports of the controller dont come up.

i dont know what the issue is with this 5520.

Hi
Cisco WLC 5520 doesnt support VPC on nexus just for the information. Also you need SFP-10G-SR, i used these to connect the ports. Make sure you enable LAG mode on controllers and reboot. Also connect your controller in this way:

1. Connect both port1 and port2 of primary controller in your Core A
2. Connect both port1 and port2 of secondary controller in your Core B
3. Configure both primary and secondary controllers for HA and make sure RP ports of both controllers are connected.

This topology worked for me without any issue.

Are you attached to the Service Port and GUI'd in?
your Controller Ports report up/enabled?

I built my HA pair of 5520's right at my desk, using 1g sfp's GLC-T's to my 3750G.
All I had to do was adjust final IP's swap in the 10g modules and mount in RACK linked 10g to my n7k.
It came right up. Your vlan 1000 is tag'd, not native on your n7k.. yes?

Hey All -

I found a pattern as to which Axiom & FS - Fiber Store SFPs will work on the 5520 WLC.

According to the output of the command 'debug fastpath cfgtool --dump.sfp', these SFPs work:

1 FiberStore       (0x20)10G BASE-LRM      SFP-10GLR-31          F17CCO07664      171218   ok

1 AXIOM MEMORY     (0x20)10G BASE-LRM      SFP-10G-LR-AX    A    AXCSFLR0009023   110517   ok

However, these SFPs from the same vendors DID NOT work for me:

1 CISCO-AXIOM      (0x20)10G BASE-LRM      SFP-10G-LR-AX    B4   AX07014A4727     181106   ok

2 FS                      (0x20)10G BASE-LRM      SFP-10GLR-31      G    1906129063         190611   ok

Note that the product name and revision code is different on the models which worked.

My personal advice is to save yourself the lost time and just always use genuine Cisco SFPs for WLCs.

I'm using sfp-10G-sx without issue to my 7k. If I recall they were not Cisco items..
can you get port 1 to work solo, (unlagged/no PC)?

hi there , i had disabled LAG as i was just using one 10G port . i havent tagged the management interface on the wlc it is un-tagged , on the switch side i used the management vlan of the wlc as native.

the switch that my wlc connects to is a 4500 switch (no VSS, just a single DMZ switch connected to internet router) .   i even tried connecting to another switch but still it did not work and thats why i switched to 1G copper .

the linkage between the WLC and associated switch may be tag'd or un-tag'd if the WLC is solo and not an HA pair. 

If un-tag'd the switch trunk is set 'sw tr na vl xx' and the WLC will respond to the un-tagged packets.

if Tagged, the trunk can not have a native vlan because the WLC would not see the (native, un-tagged) packets.

I may be a little later here, but last summer I ran into a Cisco SFP model with two different part numbers.

Port showed down/down for the one PN SFP no matter what I tried. Turns out, one was made in China, the other in another nearby country by a different manufacturer. Both had the Cisco label and were purchased thru the same vendor.

Running this command on the WLC CLI identified the part number that would not work on the 5520.

debug fastpath cfgtool --dump.sfp

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card