cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9800-40 nolonger responding to discovery requests after reboot.

David Ritter
Level 4
Level 4

My 9800-40 HA stack on 16.12.4a, which is not yet in production lost its sso state.

I did a hard reboot of the stack and while I have sso back the active is not hearing/responding to 

discovery requests.  I have 6 9117's and a 1852 which is my lab test unit that I console into.. It dutifly finds all the production 5520's and sends discovery reqs to them and the 9800..  only the 5520's respond.

Troubleshooting..  Radioactive trace  to target IP's always come up blank!.

Both ends can ping each other.

where is the hidden wlan on/off button?  even without wlans the AP's used to attach

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The Problem has been found and fixed.

seems command 

wireless management interface Vlan314
public-ip x.x.x.x

was missing, well blank.

the vlan was NOT identified/tagged as the WMI!.

how that got lost during reboot is unknown.

in the GUI that be Config/interface/Wireless

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

saravlak
Spotlight
Spotlight

wlan enable/disable doesn't matter. Was it working and stopped working now.

Deployed many 9800-40s in HA, AP joins smoothly.

First, upgrade WLC to 17.3.3 or 17.4.

set the current time.

set wireless interface and default route to wireless mgmt gateway.

configure AP with Primary WLC's name/ip.

lol

this one has been chugging along 6 or 7 months in gestation status..  no official  wlan interfaces yet and just recently change the AP management IP to its perm ip.still on a single 1g pipe.  awaiting a pile of 10g's.  eventually it will replace 3 HA 5500 stacks..  but dont have interface structure for the combined wlan load yet.  which is why it still a toy.  I noticed yesterday that the box was not in HA anymore and during the course of repair, I rebooted the package..  with the on/off switch!    Well it is paired up again. without clients..  So NO it is not registered!!  I guess it is time to push that button.  It might have been tolerating that condition up to the reboot.

At this time we are staying on 16.12, NTP is alive and well.  The Ap's are dutifully discovering the 9800 but getting no response so they land on the Production stack.  the real bummer part of this is the broke HA was actually caused by a loose fiber patch!!

With later code versions I think 17.1, support RP-RMI.  I would probably go with 17.3.x and let that sit and run and do your testing.  

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you post a debug of the capwap process?

I suspect some licensing, time or certificate issue. 

I tend toward the license issue.

capwap debug on the AP?  at this point all I have is the console output from my test AP.   

it sends discovery reqs to all wlc's but only hears the production system, not its mwar assigned target..

Since we have not yet pushed the smart-license button yet..  it be unregistered..  over a year!!

I think you are on to something

David

Capwap debug on the WLC. That should show if the WLC discards the discovery packets or actually answers them. 

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well... something broke when it lost the SSO state.  Have you tried to power down one controller at a time to see if ap's are not able to join either.  If ap's can join one and not the other, then you most likely will need to rebuild the broken one.  If both don't work as a single unit, then you can either rebuild it from scratch or continue troubleshooting the issue.  I personally would rebuild, since to me its easier to get it back and running.  I use to run all my 9800's in SSO and ran into issues and now all mine are N+1.  Maybe one day, I will test in my lab again, who knows.

-Scott

Scott,

Well the stack is now17.03.03 and no change..

how do we do a capwap debug for an ap, mac?  2c:0b:e9:c4:0c:50.  thats mine I can bounce around.  its primary mwar is the 9800

the active controller be the same as..  usual.  how do I power off/ power cycle one (or the other) remotely?  I have found that when these controllers are married up..  the ..  standby unit is mute.. on service port.  only sorta responding on console. With sever limitations.

oh well. I'm paid for.. I Opened a TAC case..  let you know what happens.

If the ap mac is in the list of joined or previously joined, there is an icon you can click on to initial trace. You can also do this manually in the troubleshooting trace section.
-Scott

darn the bad luck..

myWLC#sh wireless stats ap join summary
Number of APs: 0

Base MAC Ethernet MAC AP Name IP Address Status Last Failure Phase Last Disconnect Reason
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

myWLC#sh tech ?

its blank..

suggesting that the traffic is not even reaching the 9800 any more.  So I don't know why bouncing the 9800's cause the 9500 to stop feeding traffic.  Anyway SR691409353 has been opened.

one of these days I will give it a proper name and put it into production.

The Problem has been found and fixed.

seems command 

wireless management interface Vlan314
public-ip x.x.x.x

was missing, well blank.

the vlan was NOT identified/tagged as the WMI!.

how that got lost during reboot is unknown.

in the GUI that be Config/interface/Wireless

Thanks for posting the resolution. that was a quite fix reaction by cisco.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card