Views
Helpful
Replies

9800-L-C in HA Rommon and Ethernet Phy Upgrade

Gehrig_W
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco WLAN Experts,

I was asked to upgrade the ROMMON and Ethernet Phy  Firmware of our malworking 9800-L-C-HA für WLAN Guests.

Background: Our 9800-L-C gets stuck from time to time and stops packet forwarding on 2.5Gbps-Interfaces

Ticket is open and we have carried out several remediations on this box running with around 4000 users.

The latest Release Notes on Upgrading Field Programmable on 9800 show a solved caveat regarding packet drop on the 2.5Gbps-Interface, which we would like to solve with this upgrade.

9800L: MAC congested @Low PPS, drops/TX_XOFF in Bay 0-Tune settings and pause frames in mgig ports
CSCvq48018  

Therefore I would like to know the right procedure to upgrade two of 9800-L-C in HA-Mode.

The guide for this is rather confusing:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/b_upgrade_fpga_c9800.html#id_132283

My questions:

In which order and which steps do I need to upgrade the two boxes ?

1. ROMMON

upgrade rom-monitor filename bootflash:C9800-L-rommon.1612-3r.pkg chassis active r0

Shall I follow this command with a "Reload" or a "redundancy force-switchover" to carry out same command on the second box ?

2. Ethernet-Phy Firmware Upgrade

upgrade hw-programmable phy filename bootflash:C9800-L-hw-programmables.17.11.01.pkg

Shall I follow this command with a "Reload" or a "redundancy force-switchover" to carry out same command on the second box ?

The Guide is only describing a ROMMON-Upgrade of a HA-Setup on the last page, but not the Ethernet-Phy-Upgrade

for  a HA-setup !

Who can give some good advise how to carry out the upgrade in correct order and sequence for both acitve and standby unit ?

Thank You in advance

Wini

18 Replies 18

Gehrig_W
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I would like to inform You that the ROMMON and Ethernet PHY upgrade went through without any disturbance on our 9800-L-C Guest WLC according to proposal from Rich R.  Here is the full cooking recipe without breaking HA and WLAN client disconnects:

Gehrig_W_7-1678875412967.png

Gehrig_W_1-1678874920393.png

Gehrig_W_6-1678875343800.png

Gehrig_W_3-1678875004906.png

Gehrig_W_4-1678875031156.png

Gehrig_W_5-1678875061460.png

Thank You Rich R, Leo Laohoo and marce1000 for Your good hints and assistance.

I asked TAC also to update the Install guide regarding "Breaking HA first" which is not necessary

Kind regards

Wini

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Excellent - thanks for sharing. 
Hopefully this resolves your original problem.

NickyJKernow
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Did this ever help resolve the original issue you had?

Hello Nick,

no, unfortunately this didn't help to resolve our main issue. The bug solved with this is CSCvq48018 instead.

one major problem on the 9800-L was not working autonegotaion on the physical Twin-Gig-Ports.

In our case the box is connected to an HP-switch and autonegotion did not work using LLDP.

The 9800-L worked with 2,5Gbps, while the HP-Switch communicated on 1Gbps using autonegotiation. This caused packet loss and DHCP-problems durign peak times. We changed to "speed 1000" and "duplex full" on both sides and "no autonegotation auto" on the 9800-L to get rid of the DHCP-problems.

Kind regards

Wini

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card