cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Point C9115 cannot ping own interface

Stweak
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody, I am a University student, my colleagues and I need to work with Cisco Access Points (embedded and lightweight).

We figured out that the first step should be to upgrade the firmware of our AP (it's currently in version 16.12).

I seem to have a problem on mine, i cannot ping the AP with my client or on itself (using the serial console).

I connected the AP to a PoE switch and connected the serial port to my Linux client.

I wrote this simple configuration:

en

conf t

interface gigabitEthernet 0

ip address 10.2.201.16 255.255.255.0

no shut

exit

ip default-gateway 10.2.201.1

After that, I cannot ping it with my client and I can't even ping its own interface in the serial terminal.

Stweak_0-1697546475992.png

I would be happy to hear any piece of advice or help, we only are a group of students and we are no experts.

I apologize if i have made mistakes and if my post is in the wrong forum category.

I also want to add that yesterday, I began to write a post like this one but for unknown reason it started to ping and i could even access the GUI (of course I added the remaining commands of configuration needed). I started to update it through a TFTP server but the update failed because it couldn't download the second file apparently.

I then tried to reopen the GUI but, again, I couldn't ping the AP and it couldn't ping itself.

It has been multiple times that it does this to me, I tried to reset the AP using the reset button and also with the command:

wireless ewc-ap factory-reset

The switch that I use has only 2 Linux VM clients and the AP.

The Access Point is a C9115AXI-E, my colleagues and I all have the same ones.

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

not seen this issue before install many EWC cat 9K - make sure you have EWC firmware - post complete boot log here

follow below guide :

https://www.wifireference.com/2019/12/07/cisco-embedded-wireless-controller-on-catalyst-access-points/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello, I captured the serial output when entering the reload command, I think there is all in that file. Maybe you want me to provide some other log ?

I think it has EWC firmware

Thank you for the guide.

Here is the log when i connect the AP to a PoE switch

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I wouldn't obsess about the self-ping because there are some scenarios where that won't work - just make sure it can ping the default gateway.

Note that I believe "ip routing" is enabled by default on EWC so your "ip default-gateway" will be ignored.
You need to configure a static route instead. (ip route )

Try changing interface gigabitEthernet 0 to "negotiation auto"

16.12.4a is very old so don't try to upgrade directly to latest.
First upgrade to https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286322352/type/286323077/release/16.12.8
Then https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286322352/type/286323077/release/17.3.8
Then https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286322352/type/286323077/release/17.9.4

The thing is that technically I don't have a default gateway since there is only my Virtual Machine and the AP. I can't connect the internet access because the university has controllers and the AP tries to get some configurations.

Right now i can ping myself but cannot ping my Virtual Machine, I don't understand why sometimes I can ping myself, sometimes not. It pinged my VM once and I even could access the GUI but it did that only once, with the same configuration.

Yes gateway is only required to get out of the local subnet.

But the default config usually includes a default route without any next hop IP which can cause unpredictable behaviour.  You should remove that and replace it with a valid route if needed.

Stweak
Level 1
Level 1

I also have this weird error when i use "write", it says:

Stweak_0-1698226752059.png

I'm not sure but I think I didn't have this error on the one time where it worked.

Never seen that before - might be time to do "erase /all nvram:" and "erase /all non-default" then reload and configure from fresh?

Stweak
Level 1
Level 1

when I reset it, I used the button method and the command "wireless ewc-ap factory-reset".

Today I did "erase /all nvram:" and "erase /all non-default" then a "reload" but at the end it does the same problem.

I realized that when it starts with a fresh config, I could go into the SSID "CiscoAirProvision-0780" (0780 being my AP not my colleagues).

I could get a webpage by going to "mywifi.cisco.com", login then configuring what it asks. In the console it shows that it indeed gave the interface an ip address:

Stweak_0-1698328010605.png

After configuring that, it says that the page on mywifi.cisco.com won't be accessible as it should be.

The CiscoAirProvision-0780 SSID disappear.

The weird part after that is when I pinged that mangment address with my virtual machine, it sometimes worked sometimes didn't:

Stweak_1-1698328261493.png

4 sent with 3 received then 4 sent 2 received then 4 sent 0 received.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Use debugs and packet captures on both sides to try to understand why it isn't working.

If you still don't make any progress you might have faulty hardware so open a TAC case for Cisco to assist.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card