Replies

air ap2802i-e-k9

Sbu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am struggling to configure my AP model air ap2802i-e-k9

after booting the I keeps on displaying the following:

Sbu_0-1666869062015.png

And when I try to go on to config t mode It does not allow me.

Please help....!!!!

22 Replies 22

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Do you need it to join a controller or operate as standalone ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

I need to change from CAPWAP to ME

Hi, I needed to convert it to ME WLC, I have done that when I reboot the AP it takes me to the controller mode (good) but from the web browser GUI I only have the options to configure SSIDs for 2.4GHz/5Ghz, DHCP, FIREWALL and the APs IP address. 

And I have seen the interfaces on YouTube it totally looks different from mine, I am thinking it has not change to ME as it doesn't an interface like this one:

Sbu_0-1667020953446.jpeg

I cant configure multiple SSIDs in different VLANs for Guest and Internal. 

jonathga94
Level 1
Level 1

The AP 2802 doesn't have a global configuration mode which can be identified by the "hostname(config)#" structure. If you want to configure the basic information on that AP model, then you should use the following commands on the Privileged EXEC Mode:

IP configuration
AP#capwap ap ip <IP-address> <subnet mask> <default-gateway> [<dns1-ip-address> <dns2-ip-address> <domain>]

WLC configuration
AP#capwap ap primary-base <WLC-sys-name> <IP-address>

Hostname
AP#capwap ap hostname <name>

Take a look at this link for more basic commands for the AP 2802 (ClickOS based AP)

Is there a WLC?

I needed to make it a WLC, I have managed to load the image , how ever I can not configure multiple SSIDs for guest Wi-Fi and internal Wi-Fi using the web GUI.

Hi, I needed to convert it to ME WLC, I have done that when I reboot the AP it takes me to the controller mode (good) but from the web browser GUI I only have the options to configure SAIEE for 2.4GHz/5Ghz, DHCP, FIREWALL and the APs IP address. 

And I have seen the interfaces on YouTube it totally looks different from mine, I am thinking it has not change to ME as it doesn't an interface like this one:

Sbu_1-1667019719403.jpeg

I cant configure multiple SSIDs in different VLANs for Guest and Internal. 

Correction SSID not SAIEE

Rich R
VIP
VIP

To expand on what the others were saying ...
You're obviously familiar with older APs (now almost end of life) which used Cisco IOS.  Those came in either autonomous mode (where you could use "conf t" and run it as a standalone AP) or lightweight (CAPWAP) mode which requires a Wireless LAN Controller (WLC).

From the wave 2 APs like the 2802 they no longer run IOS they use a new linux based OS called ClickOS and there is no more autonomous mode.  Your AP is in lightweight (CAPWAP) mode so can only work with a WLC.  If you want to run it as a standalone AP then you will have to convert it to Mobility Express which is not the same as autonomous but allows you to run it as standalone. It runs a reduced version of WLC as well as the AP together on the AP.  The AP module joins to the WLC module on the AP so it still behaves like a lightweight AP but no external WLC needed.  Configuration is done from the WLC (which runs on AireOS) GUI and command line.  The WLC sends the config to the AP.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/mobility-express-aironet-access-points/215410-convert-capwap-1852-access-point-ap-to.html
Note that 8.10.112.0 is now out of date. Current latest is 8.10.181.0.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/810/user_guide/b_ME_User_Guide_810/getg_started.html#task_7588F4C009744AEFBB9EB754A713E390

Thank you I have tried this and managed to load the ME image, and when booting the AP it boots as a controller which is good but the interface I get on the GUI has very limited configs I only have the options to configure SSID for 2.4GHz/5Ghz, DHCP, FIREWALL and the APs IP address. 

I was expecting to get an interface like the one below show that is a ME WLC but it looks like it has not realy change from being a CAPWAP.

Sbu_2-1667020224123.jpeg

I just forgot to screen grab the interface when I was connected to it I would show how it looks.

Hi I forgot to mention that the AP is running on 8.5... version and when I try to upgrade it loads the firmware but it never upgrades to the newer version.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

There are changes in the ME GUI between different version so small differences don't matter.
If you're seeing those options then it probably is ME - get a screenshot or on the CLI get the output of "show sysinfo".
ME will definitely allow you to configure more than one SSID.

As far as upgrades are concerned there are some bugs in ME that cause it to run out of space when trying to upgrade.  The most reliable way to do it is to convert the back to CAPWAP mode.  Then upgrade to the latest CAPWAP image (same version that you want to use for ME).  Then convert to the new ME version.

I have converted to CAPWAP did the upgrade, did a manual reboot after the upgrade still no change, see system info: 

Sbu_1-1667201028053.png

- The AP seems to run ME now as per your intend, I see no problems with that output (which current issues are you referring to) ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card