Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2802i - Blue, Red and green flashing LEDs

ejdrijin1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Cisco AP 2802i and I have installed the Mobility Express however the AP LED's is still flashing (Blue, Red and green). I was reading and found out that these flashes mean that the AP is attempting to discover a WLC.

I was under the impression that the AP will become the WLC once Mobilty Express is installed. Because of this also the SSID is not broadcasting.

Can some one guide me and tell me what could be the issue?

Thanks.

19 Replies 19

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Console into the AP and post the entire boot-up process.

(Cisco Controller) show>boot
Primary Boot Image............................... 8.5.103.0 (default) (active)
Backup Boot Image................................ 8.2.151.0

That is NOT the boot-up process.

Find attached.

Bootup is showing that the AP is looking for a WLC but nowhere is it stated what the IP address of the WLC is (unless it's been deleted).

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your reply.

I was under the impression that the AP will automatically become the WLC. Am I wrong?

If you are saying about this line, I have removed the IP:

[*08/07/2017 11:06:23.1504] ethernet_port wired0, ip 1, netmask 255.255.255.0, gw , mtu 1500, bcast , domain c waiting for POE negotiation to complete

Thanks.

Yes I meant - I was under the impression that the AP will automatically become the WLC when converted to Mobility Express.

Then I noticed that under APs I had different tabs, and the IP had an IP and then in the controller tab it had another IP. Should that IP be the same?

Thanks.

robert.rase
Level 1
Level 1

Was this ever resolved? How?

Thanks

They were probably wrong about what the error was, when a 2802 is blinking red, green and blue it means that it doesn't get enough power (it needs poe+ but it hasn't negotiated to poe+) and therefore doesn't bring up its radios.

Cisco IOS errors

Red

Software failure; try disconnecting and reconnecting unit power

Cycling through red, green, blue, and off

General warning; insufficient inline power

Exactly and the clue was in the line of log which the AP kept repeating:
"waiting for POE negotiation to complete"

The other common mistake with ME is people not understanding that the WLC and AP components run like separate virtual machines and both need an IP address.  Either both must be statically configured, in the same subnet, or you need a dhcp server which can provide both with an IP address.

Aina William
Level 1
Level 1

It sounds like the way your Cisco AP 2802i is set up as a manager in Mobility Express mode is wrong. When the AP's LED flashes blue, red, and green, it means it's still looking for a Wireless LAN Controller (WLC) because it hasn't been set up as one yet. Make sure the AP is set to work in controller mode and that the Mobility Express image is installed properly. You may need to reset the AP to its original settings and set it up again, making sure that the Mobility Express software is loaded correctly and that the AP is designated as the main controller. Once everything is set up right, the SSID should spread as it should.

No, if the AP is looking for it's wlc it will flash red and green. See below.

EDIT: Removed the table and inserted an image instead.

EDIT2: Realized that the table is WRONG, atleast for the 2802, if a 2802 flashes blue, red and green it needs more power to bring up its radios, and if it flashes red and green it is in its discovery process.

EDIT3: Removed the table as it was wrong and probably causes confusion. See the table from @Rich R instead!

I would just remove that table @Denniz to avoid further confusion <smile>
@Aina William appears to be a serial chatbot answerer.

The 2802 documentation is at https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/2800/quick/guide/ap2800iegetstart.html#40401

RichR_0-1722845807857.png

The answer is in the last row of the table.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card