Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet 3600i and vWLC

Kriss K
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I have one AP AIR-CAP3602I-E-K9 with installed  Autonomous AP IOS Software- 15.3.3-JF15(ED). I recently purchased a module 802.11 AC. During the configuration I found out that it is not possible to turn on AC radio in autonomous mode.

https://quickview.cloudapps.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCum88619

My question is if I configure the access point using the controller and turn off the controller, will the WiFi network work normally ? I have a controller installed on ESXi that doesn't work all the time. I would run ESXi only if I wanted to change the configuration of the access point.

Does this solution create any problems?

The access point works at home. I don't use RADIUS. I just want to run 802.11 AC.

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You will need at least to convert it to capwap (client) mode (installing another image on it) : use this procedure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBJcFcURWIg  , but adapt it to the image file name which you will need : https://software.cisco.com/download/home/284006700/type/280775090/release/15.3.3-JF15

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I understand and know that I need to change the firmware in the access point. My question was if after configuring the access point with the controller and disabling the controller, the access point will still work properly.

- Yes , provided you can configure in in FlexConnect mode (local switching) , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Before turning on 802.11ac, are all the channels clear of any co-channel interference? 

What are you trying to accomplish with 802.11ac wave 1?

The access point is in my house. There is no other wifi network there except mine. I want to enable 802.11 AC to increase the network speed for mobile devices operating on the 5 GHz frequency

- Isn't the whole effort 'beyond the purpose' ; why not by a home wifi access point on the 'home market' (these can do AC too) ?

M.

@Kriss K wrote:
I want to enable 802.11 AC to increase the network speed for mobile devices operating on the 5 GHz frequency

Not going to happen. 

The bottleneck is the CPU and battery size limiting how much mobile devices can process. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card