Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 9800-L and DNA question

M Tech
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

We are planning to deploy Cisco Catalyst 9800-L controller with a mix of different model access points: new Catalyst 9162, Aironet 3800s and Aironet 3700s. 

- On the controller datasheet it says that in order to connect access points, DNA license is required for each AP. Does it mean we also need to deploy Cisco DNA Center - which is beyond our current budget? Or, DNA license is just applied on the Catalyst 9800 controller itself and APs are joined afterwards? 

- Cisco DNA license is available with 3,5 and 7 year validity. For example if we purchase  3 year DNA license, then after its expiration does the controller stop joining APs? 

- For older Aironet 3700s, would there be any issue to join Catalyst 9800 controller?

- We will be deploying two Catalyst 9800-L controllers (A. and B.) in HA setup. And, we will apply DNA license that covers all existing APs (for instance 150)  on the primary controller A. Then, down the road, in case if the primary controller A. fails then would the DNA license automatically transfer to the secondary controller B.? Or. do we again have to buy DNA license for controller B. ? 

Also, if you did similar deployment previously what would you advice to watch out for or any concerns etc?

Many thanks

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

You cannot have 9162 and 3700 registering to the same WLC due to compatibility issues. Please refer the compatibility matrix listed below in my signature. 

Are you planning on HA SSO or N+1 for WLC? In both the cases you just need to sync the WLC with the smart account. I prefer to use direct connectivity to SSM from the WLC. Refer the below link for configuration guide

Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controller Software Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS XE Amsterdam 17.3.x - Smart Licensing [Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controllers] - Cisco

For each AP AIR-DNA license is mandatory. So to answer your question AP license is not bound to the WLC, rather to the AP itself. So when smart licenses are used it doesn't matter which WLC, AP is registered to. It will simply consume one license from the smart account. Also to be noted that Cisco doesn't enforce any license restrictions on the 9800L as of today, (which might change in the future and good to have it synced to avoid legal issues).

View solution in original post

I think he was hoping he could run his 3700's on 17.9.1.
As I already explained, the last release to support the 3700's is 17.3.x - you cannot use them with 17.9.1
IW3700 is a specific exception to that - the firmware they run is irrelevant - the controller will not allow the others to register.
Take note of @Arshad Safrulla's advice if you want to keep the 3700's - you'll need a separate controller running 17.3.x to support them.
But remember 17.3 itself is approaching end of life https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/ios-nx-os-software/ios-xe-17/ios-xe-17-3-x-eol.html End of software maintenance (bugfixes) by March 2023 and End of Vulnerability/Security Support by September 2023.

We have it running on ESX in lab and not seen any problems but that's very low load so can't comment on stability under load.
You'll need to test it for your use case and expected load.

9 Replies 9

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

DNA Licensing just what Cisco is calling it these days - no requirement for DNA Centre to be deployed. Licensing is per AP and applied to WLC via your smart licensing portal.

3700s can join the 9800 just check the software compadibility matrix as there are cavearts there -  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

Reference what happens post the expiry of the subscription licensing model - your APs keep working an so does the WLC for new AP joins - currently its an honor system

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

M Tech
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much Mr. Andrews for your reply. It is much appreciated!

I just realized that I left another important question:

We will be deploying two Catalyst 9800-L controllers (A. and B.) in HA setup. And, we will apply DNA license that covers all existing APs (for instance 150)  on the primary controller A. Then, down the road, in case if the primary controller A. fails then would the DNA license automatically transfer to the secondary controller B.? Or. do we again have to buy DNA license for controller B. ? 

Hi,

You cannot have 9162 and 3700 registering to the same WLC due to compatibility issues. Please refer the compatibility matrix listed below in my signature. 

Are you planning on HA SSO or N+1 for WLC? In both the cases you just need to sync the WLC with the smart account. I prefer to use direct connectivity to SSM from the WLC. Refer the below link for configuration guide

Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controller Software Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS XE Amsterdam 17.3.x - Smart Licensing [Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controllers] - Cisco

For each AP AIR-DNA license is mandatory. So to answer your question AP license is not bound to the WLC, rather to the AP itself. So when smart licenses are used it doesn't matter which WLC, AP is registered to. It will simply consume one license from the smart account. Also to be noted that Cisco doesn't enforce any license restrictions on the 9800L as of today, (which might change in the future and good to have it synced to avoid legal issues).

Thank you so much, Arshad! 

We are planning HA SSO setup. We will follow your suggestion. Instead of CW9166s we can buy 4800s.

On the said compatibility matrix, it states that Cisco IOS XE Cupertino 17.9.1 version will support 9166s, Aironet 3800s and Cisco Industrial Wireless 3700 Series. Aside from rugged design what is difference between regular vs industrial version of Aironet 3700 APs? Do they run different firmware? 

If I were you, I would look away from all the Catalyst AP’s including the AX compatible APs and lean more towards any CW series APs in your case 9166. 4800 is a not a wise choice considering it has EOS dates announced.
To address the software limitations what I would do

1. Replace all the older generation AP’s with newer APs (Most of the wave1 17xx,27xx,37xx APs are goin EOL very soon)

2. Incase I have to have an environment with both older and newer APs, I would consider running a VM instance for 9800-CL to host the older AP’s or extend the support for the older WLC if feasible.

Regarding the differences between IW and AIR models of 3702, IW3702 is still supported and it is a beast designed to work even in the most challenging environments. If you want IW series APs then I would look towards 9167. 

I think he was hoping he could run his 3700's on 17.9.1.
As I already explained, the last release to support the 3700's is 17.3.x - you cannot use them with 17.9.1
IW3700 is a specific exception to that - the firmware they run is irrelevant - the controller will not allow the others to register.
Take note of @Arshad Safrulla's advice if you want to keep the 3700's - you'll need a separate controller running 17.3.x to support them.
But remember 17.3 itself is approaching end of life https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/ios-nx-os-software/ios-xe-17/ios-xe-17-3-x-eol.html End of software maintenance (bugfixes) by March 2023 and End of Vulnerability/Security Support by September 2023.

Many many thanks Arshad and Rich! It is sincerely appreciated.

We already use VMware based virtual platform for many years. I am wondering how stable is running Catalyst 9800-CL as virtual machine on VMware ESXi hosts. Would you recommend it for production environment?

We have it running on ESX in lab and not seen any problems but that's very low load so can't comment on stability under load.
You'll need to test it for your use case and expected load.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

To expand on what @Arshad Safrulla said because that was the first thing that caught my attention:
17.3.x is the LAST release which will support 3700's.
17.9.2/17.10.1 (still to be released) will be the FIRST releases to support 9162
So there is no release which can support both AP models.
Suggest you plan for replacement of the 3700 APs as they are almost end of support anyway: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-3700-series/eos-eol-notice-c51-740710.html

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card