cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC 3504 not allowing simultaneous connections from Hyper-V Client via Wireless Network Adapter

Lourensvd
Level 1
Level 1

To whom it may concern

I have a client with the following problem.  Basically there is a team that works from their Virtual Machines via Hyper-V.  When connecting via LAN cable, they do not experience problems, but it is necessary for the team members to roam within the building between the Cisco Access Points and connect to the network or internet. 

Setup:

Cisco Wireless LAN Controller with version software version:  8.8.120.0 and Image version: 8.5.103.0

3x Cisco Aironet 1832 Access Points controlled by the Cisco Wireless LAN controller

Example Client connecting:

Dell Latitude 5580

Windows 10 Pro

Hyper-V Role installed

Core i5-7200U @ 2.5GHz

8GB Ram

500GB HDD

Wireless LAN Adapter updated to latest version via Dell Support Assistant

Basically you configure your Hyper-V Virtual Switch Manager to work with your Wireless Network Adapter.  I have attached a screen shot named Hyper-V Virtual Switch settings.docx with the configuration.  You are connected to the SSID that is being broadcast by the Cisco WLC 3504.  You start your VM and boot into Windows 10.  Your VM will display that you are connected.  But once you start testing your connection, you'll see that your VM is getting constant time out to Google DNS 8.8.8.8.  In the same time, you will run the same ping request to DNS ip 8.8.8.8 on your laptop (Hyper-V Host) and you will get a constant reply for a let say 20 lines.  Then the host will start to time out and the VM will start to reply to 8.8.8.8

It is almost like the Cisco WLC does not like the Hyper-V host and the Virtual Machine connecting to the same SSID at the same time and only prioritizes either to Hyper-V host or the VM.

When connecting to my home Access Point, there is not problem and both host and VM can ping google DNS without time outs.

Please advise on how to get the VM to ping 8.8.8.8 constantly without time outs or get the Cisco WLC to service both requests from VM or Hyper-V host.

Please let me know if you require further information.

Kind Regards

Lourensvd 

7 Replies 7

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

What is the ip address of the VM and the host when you connect to the office network and when you connect from home?

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Hi johnd2310 and patoberli

Thank you for the reply.  I have attached the screens for when I am connecting from Home without Cisco equipment in play.  I will have to send you a screen shot from when I am connecting from the office to show you the difference when pinging 8.8.8.8.  At the office the Cisco Router dishes out ip addresses and is the DHCP Server of the network.  Cisco Router IP = 10.0.0.1

Kind Regards

Lourensvd 

Hi johnd2310

Herewith the screens when I am connected to the Cisco AP's at the Office Network.  As you can see with the "Cisco - ping google - time outs noted on both sides.jpg" attachment both devices are not able to ping google at the same time with consistency.  The controller allowes connection from the one machine and drops the connection and start servicing the requests from the other machine and then the original one that were replying, starts to time out.

Please let me know if you require further details.

Kind Regards

Lourensvd    

I'm sadly not seeing the physical adapter in your cmd output, but I think it's ok. I wonder if it has to do with a similar issue I had, with a Bridge with several clients attached to. I sadly never found a solution for it (it did correct itself after around 2 minutes and was then ok).

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Can you please post the complete output of a "ipconfig /all" from the cmd?

Hi patoberli

I have attached a screenshot of the ipconfig /all showing the results in the VM on the left and the physical machine on the right.  I 'll try to get the results from the office network for you as well when I am connecting to the wifi network with the Cisco WLC in play.

Kind Regards

Lourensvd

Martin Grimm
Level 1
Level 1

Did anyone solved this issue? Got the same problem around in one location. If they attach the host and HyperV Vm to wired or home Access Point, there is no problem. If they are connecting to Corp SSID with 5520 WLC and 8.5.182.7 then the VM is dropping. WLC is seeing one MAC and IP Address so the HyperV seems to NAT the VM traffic. If they use VMware with "same" setting, there is no problem. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card