Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring 9130AXE as EWC, AP unable to comunicate during setup

Spreadlove
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have a 9130AXE AP I want to configure as Embedded Wireless Controller, I have followed the documentation, so far I have
1. Downloaded 9800-AP Universal zip file which has the required files and images
2. I have factory reset the 9130 AP, and set a hostname and IP address, subnet mask and gateway via the console port

My issue lies with the not AP being unable to communicate with any other device in the current network.
In the documentation, it says I have to configure the switchport on the switch as trunk with the native VLAN as that of the management VLAN. The switches in my environment are on vlan 16, wireless clients and other AP's are on vlan 30.

I have tried native Vlan 16, vlan 30, vlan1 on the switchport connecting to the AP, but none of them has been able to help getting the AP to connect to other devices, but when I configure the port as an access port, I am able to ping to it.

What am I missing, kindly assist.
Thank you.

7 Replies 7

Hi @Spreadlove 

Can you share the config fro the switch side  ? Which switch are you using, by the way?

Hi @Flavio Miranda 
Currently on a 8-port C1000, check power-inline, AP is consuming 30watts

The switch configs:default
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/4
switchport mode trunk
end
using Management vlan (vlan 16) as native vlan
switchport trunk native vlan 16
switchport mode trunk
end

using wireless vlan (vlan 30) as native vlan
switchport trunk native vlan 30
switchport mode trunk
end

The configuration sems fine. Did you add default gateway on the AP? 

yes, I did, I used same configs as working AP currently on site..

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- It kind of all depends , it may be due to current configuration conflicts with the switch configs too ; review this scenario :
   https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-catalyst-access-points/white-paper-c11-743398.html#Gettingstarted
                   and compare your settings accordingly (do not only look at the port configuration but the look at the vlan definitions too as they are being configured on the switch) 

Appendix : after configuring the EWC controller , use this checkup mechanism with the CLI command show tech wireless ; feed the output into : 
                          https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer/ 
  Consider this procedure mandatory !

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

@marce1000, thanks for the link shared
as part of the requisites, there should not be any WLC in the network during setup of EWC, I'm guessing this may be an issue, although I don't expect it to affect it the new AP from being reached by any device in the network.
I want to set this up for a test without causing downtime, I will have to reschedule this activity.

Thank you for sharing.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

You said it works with switchport access mode - what was the switch port config you used for that?

Access mode vlan 16 and trunk mode native vlan 16 should be functionally identical as far as the AP management access is concerned (both mean vlan 16 is untagged).  In fact access mode is fine for doing the initial setup.  You only need a trunk port when you need to configure vlan 30 for the AP.  The WLC part (EWC) doesn't use VLANs anyway, only the client serving (AP) part uses the VLANs for flexconnect local switching the SSID traffic.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card