Views
Helpful
Replies

Controller Configuration Backup (2504/5508/8510/8540/5520) Issue

DanDeg
Level 1
Level 1

Hello...

Updated all our WLC's to 8.5.171.0 code and we are not able to do our Controller Configuration Backup via SFTP or TFTP. Anyone having similar issue?

Thank You

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No we did not see any issue, check the config again (is this broken after upgrade ?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-5/config-guide/b_cg85/managing_configuration.html

what is the Logs you see ? both SFTP and WLC side ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- So what's happening then, describe things done, errors seen , screenshot (e.g.) and or etc....

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

we also have a 3504 WLC that has 8.5.171.0 code and it will not do the backup. So I went ahead and updated the 3504 to the 8.10 version and the backup started working. More than half of our WLC's are 2504 and the latest I can update it to is 8.5.171.0.... Since it works on the 8.10 version and not on the 8.5.171.0, i am going to assume the issue is on the version....  when i try to do the configuration backup i get "% Error: Config file transfer failed - Unknown error"

Thank You...

Failed to mention that I also tried ding the config backup via Cisco Prime. On the 3504 where i have 8.10 version it backs up successfully.... but on the WLC's where I have 8.5.171.0 it will not do the backup. and by the way... I have a 3504 that has  8.5.171.0, and it will not do the backup.

Thank You

Try WITHOUT using Cisco Prime.

- Check the TFTP and or SFTP server's logs when this happens , also check 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/cloud-systems-management/prime-infrastructure/products-device-support-tables-list.html

Meaning look up your controller(s) . check software version versus Prime compatibility information , make sure all conditions are met.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

There's no problem with 8.5.171.0 for us - we have it running on a number of WLCs 5520/8510/8540.

There may be a specific incompatibility between that version of code and your server but you'll need to debug/check logs on both ends and/or packet capture between them to work out what the problem is.  Might be something in your config which needs tweaking.

ps. I think I recall seeing a problem with the transfer path being left blank at some point so try making sure you have a valid path in there?  Invalid path would show up clearly in a pcap (at least for TFTP) and debugs and logs.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card