Helpful
Replies

How to determine AccessPoints VID

b102
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

to check, if I can update our WLC to version 17.3.07 it is necessary to know
if there are AccessPoints with VID 06 or earlier / VID 07 or later.

How can I find out which VIDs our AccessPoints have?

I'm using WLC Catalyst 9800-40 v17.3.04c and Prime Infrastructure 3.10.2.

Can anybody give me a hint how to get a list, for example like this:

<AccessPoint-Name>  <AccessPoint-Type>   <VID>
:

Any help would be appreciated

Best regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

1. Why do you want to know the VID?  If you're referring to Field Notice: FN - 72424 - Later Versions of Some Wi-Fi 6 Access Points Fail to Join the WLAN Controller - Software Upgrade Recommended - Cisco then that only matters if you're using older versions of software.  17.3.6 and later support all current AP hardware versions (VID) so you don't need to know the VIDs.  17.3.7 will work with them all.

2. If you still want to know the VIDs it will be a 2 step process.
term len 0
show ap summ
Take the list of APs and use Excel to create a command for each AP:
sh ap name <ap name> inventory
Then paste that list of commands back onto the CLI to get your full inventory from each AP.

3. If you're upgrading then now is the time to think about moving AWAY from 17.3 which is approaching end of life.  17.6.5 at least and preferably 17.9.3 (required if you have wave1 x700 APs).  17.3 has ALREADY passed end of software maintenance (no more testing or bug fixes by Cisco) and in a few months End of Vulnerability/Security Support:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/ios-nx-os-software/ios-xe-17/ios-xe-17-3-x-eol.html

View solution in original post

Yes, you are wrong. 
17.3.7 will support them all of them so it doesn't matter what the VID number is.
You would only only need to know the VIDs if you wanted to downgrade to 17.3.5 or earlier because that would not support the new APs.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

not that i am aware that can be displayed i guess from configuration

that mentioned on Physical kit

but any latest code may have that option - happy to hear and learn that piece.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- This can't or won't be  retrieved by network management tools such as Prime ; however you can connect to the AP and issue the command : show inventory

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello marce1000,

thanks for your reply.

Is there a way to do this on 800+ AccessPoints without wasting so much time?
For sure the Controller knows all data of every AP. Is there a way to read the database
from Catalyst 9800-40? 

Best regards

>...For sure the Controller knows all data of every AP. Is there a way to read the database (AP Vid) ,
                I don't think the controller will include that parameter in the database , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello,

If the Access Point is joined in some Wireless Lan Controller, you need to go the the WIRELESS Tab, then click over the Access Point, and go to Inventory.

On the Inventory you can find this information. VID stand for Version ID

FlavioMiranda_1-1683804730716.png

Hello Flavio,

thanks for your reply.
You are absolutely right. With this you can check the VID of a handful APs.
I have to find this out for 800+ APs and it would be very helpful to do this
in a way that would not be time consuming.

Maybe there is a way over WLCs CLI or Prime Database ?

Best regards

Hi

You can do it on the WLC via CLI. Run the command

config paging disable

show ap inventory all

Save the output to a spreadsheet and make filters.

That's AireOS not IOS-XE (9800) @Flavio Miranda !

And the command doesn't currently exist on 9800.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

1. Why do you want to know the VID?  If you're referring to Field Notice: FN - 72424 - Later Versions of Some Wi-Fi 6 Access Points Fail to Join the WLAN Controller - Software Upgrade Recommended - Cisco then that only matters if you're using older versions of software.  17.3.6 and later support all current AP hardware versions (VID) so you don't need to know the VIDs.  17.3.7 will work with them all.

2. If you still want to know the VIDs it will be a 2 step process.
term len 0
show ap summ
Take the list of APs and use Excel to create a command for each AP:
sh ap name <ap name> inventory
Then paste that list of commands back onto the CLI to get your full inventory from each AP.

3. If you're upgrading then now is the time to think about moving AWAY from 17.3 which is approaching end of life.  17.6.5 at least and preferably 17.9.3 (required if you have wave1 x700 APs).  17.3 has ALREADY passed end of software maintenance (no more testing or bug fixes by Cisco) and in a few months End of Vulnerability/Security Support:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/ios-nx-os-software/ios-xe-17/ios-xe-17-3-x-eol.html

Hello Richard,

thank you very much for your reply.

> Why do you want to know the VID?

Well, exactly because of Field Notice 72424

The release notes of Version 17.3.7 it says:
- Supported APs:
- Cisco Catalyst 9115AX (I/E) Access Points
- Cisco Catalyst 9117AXI Access Points
- Cisco Catalyst 9120AX (I/E) Access Points
     VID 07 or later - supported from 17.3.6
     VID 06 or earlier - supported in all 17.3.x releases
- Cisco Catalyst 9120AXP Access Points
- Cisco Catalyst 9130AX (I/E) Access Points
     VID 03 or later - supported from 17.3.6
     VID 02 or earlier - supported in all 17.3.x releases
(For information about Cisco Catalyst 9105, 9120, or 9130 Access Points version support, see the Field Notice 72424.)

Field Notice 72424 says:
:

C9105AXI-E
VID 04 and later are affected
C9120AXI-E
VID 07 and later are affected
C9130AXI-E
VID 03 and later are affected

I'm using those Catalyst AccessPoints C9105AXI-E, C9120AXI-E and C9130AXI-E listed above.
For this reason I thought it would be nice to know how many of those AccessPoints can cause
problems.

AM I wrong with my thoughts?

By the way: The command show ap name <ap-name> inventory worked fine.

Best regards

Yes, you are wrong. 
17.3.7 will support them all of them so it doesn't matter what the VID number is.
You would only only need to know the VIDs if you wanted to downgrade to 17.3.5 or earlier because that would not support the new APs.

Hello Richard,

thank you very much for your answer. It helped me a lot.

Best regards.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card