Hi,

Is there any real benefit  of grouping subnet  in a single ssid 

Any pros and cons 

Thanks

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Generally, Grouping happens when you originally deployed with a small number of users take the example you predicted /24 users in the network, but they have grown beyond the limit due to requirements, so it's not possible to increase /24 to /22 or higher, this required whole config change, so we add new range in different VLAN and group them. 

If you have planned well advanced and used double or triple than original users and IP address, you do not need to group them or are not required.

Both work as expected, but different Gateways in different VLAN.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi

The benefit is manageability. If you create a group and add subinterface on it, even though you add only one subinterface, it is a good practice because in the future if you need to  expand your network you just need to add one or more subinterface to the same group. This is a pretty simple change.

There´s no disavantage on creating group if you keep the Vlans as small as possible. One problem you may face is, if you add one Interface vlan do a Interface group by mistake, you can not delete the interface vlan on the group if the interface group is already associated with  SSID. You need to remove the interface group from every AP group until it is not associated with any SSID and then the WLC will allow you to remove the wrong interface.

I did it in the past in a WLC with 100 AP groups and 20 SSID

Another possible problem is if one interface vlan have problem with DHCP.  You may need to remove that subinterface and this can be a problem.

Hi,

The benefit is only manageability ?  As i understand this  will help to   reduce the broadcast domain

for example instead /23 if we put two /24 

Please advise 

Thanks

I said that above ..."There´s no disavantage on creating group if you keep the Vlans as small as possible."

I just used different words. Because it will not reduce broadcast domain if you use big vlans.

Its all depends on use case / it required more work.

any way wilress network different than comparing with Wired broadcast network.

So i prefer to have /23 than /24 for each administration purpose. (or more /22 or /21 if you have more devices in the network).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card