Views
Helpful
Replies

Passpoint/Hotspot 2.0 network - client not associating

iores
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have successfully installed the Passpoint profile on the phone and created WLAN-enabled Hotspot 2.0 network on WLC. However, the mobile phone will not associate with the AP (I see no logs on the AAA server, so I suspect it is stucked in this phase).

I don't get any specific information from the mobile phone about the reason it won's associate.

The domain name and the realm name are the same on WLC configuration and passpoint profile. It does work when I try to connect by mannually entering user credentials and authentication type but it won't associate/connect with the Passpoint profile.

Any ideas what could have gone wrong?

4 Replies 4

Rich R
VIP
VIP

What WLC?
What version of software?
What phone?
What version of OS is the phone running?
What AAA server (and version) are you using?
Have you used the phone to do this on a known working setup before?
The support for this technology varies considerably between different vendors products.
There are a number of bugs in handset implementations and radius servers that can affect the way it works.
Basically you'll need to debug the device, debug your WLC and debug your radius server to work out where and why it's going wrong (assuming you're sure you have configured it correctly).

I don't know how to debug the device when it is not associated to the AP despite that I have configured the same values on WLC (domain list, realm list...) that appear in Passpoint profile, as well.

I was following Android guidelines for creating the profile which is installed and displayed in available wifi networks when the mobile phone gets in the area covered by hotspot 2.0-enabled AP.

It doesn't get to authentication phase because I see no logs on Radius server. If I click on the actual SSID and enter user credentials đanually, then I see logs on Radius. Therefore, my guess the problem is with association phase.

@Rich R Is there any recent Cisco WLC configuration example along with Passpoint profile in order to be compare the WLC settings and data in the profile? Everything I have found is old.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Not that I am aware of, but you might have more luck with WBA. https://wballiance.com/?s=passpoint

It forms the basis of OpenRoaming which is now led by the WBA so a lot of work has been done on that with additional technologies bolting it all together for OpenRoaming.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card