Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions about the duration after downloading the wlc5520 certificate

CCC3
Level 1
Level 1

with a private certificate
I downloaded it to Web Authentication on wlc and rebooted it to make sure it went in properly

What I'm curious about here is that when I look at the certificate in the .cer file
It looks like the expiration date is about 15 years

If you put the certificate in the actual wlc and check it
Valid: has confirmed that is one year

Is the expiration date I see any difference from the period applied to the actual wlc?

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what Code running on WLC ?

can you post some example screenshot what you see, what you think is the difference, to be sure what we seeing the cert you mentioned correct.

some time root cert stay longer, and all device / or any certs are 1 year only as security best practice.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

jagan.chowdam
Spotlight
Spotlight

What is the output look like for "Show certificate webauth"?

Have you used OpenSSL to generate CSR?

Jagan Chowdam

/**Pls rate useful responses**/

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Currently no public certificate authority will issue a certificate valid for longer than 13 months (398 days) which is 1 year + some overlap for updating the cert.  https://www.digicert.com/faq/public-trust-and-certificates/how-long-are-tls-ssl-certificate-validity-periods

As the others said you might be confusing your own cert with the root CA cert or one of the the intermediate certs.  For example www.google.com cert expires Mon, 26 Aug 2024 07:35:31 GMT, but the intermediate cert WR2 expires Tue, 20 Feb 2029 14:00:00 GMT and the GTS Root R1 intermediate expires Fri, 28 Jan 2028 00:00:42 GMT and they are all under the GlobalSign Root CA which expires Fri, 28 Jan 2028 12:00:00 GMT.  You have to look at the whole cert chain.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card