Views
Helpful
Replies

Restart Multiple Access Points

fdharmawan
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Guys,

I have 5520 WLC and several 3802 and 2802 access points in my deployment. Currently the access points uptime is around 662 days. I was thinking to restart the APs to refresh them, since the uptime almost 2 years. I have around 100s APs, so it is not really simple if I have to push the restart button one by one from the WLC or shutting down the ports from the switch. Is there any easy way to restart the APs in mass/bulk? Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you Prime Infra in place, so make a Template to reboot these IP Address.

if you looking some script look below :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/reboot-multiple-or-all-access-points-via-wlc-web-gui-or-cisco/td-p/2460654

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

AnthonyL2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
First question :
is your access point configured to a static or dhcp IP address?
just for information , I have already restarted old APs which had a CAPWAP tunnel established for a long time. some of them restart with a nice (0.0.0.0/0) management ip seen by the WLC or the capwap has been established ....
 =>In thase case, the reset hardware was necessary
the workaround was to pass a dynamic IP before restarting.

As far i 'm concerned, I prefer shut the ports on the switch if POE is use.

Hi Anthony,

The APs are configured with static IP addresses. It would not be a problem, right?

I was thinking to do it via switch, but still gonna enter 200s-ish to shutdown the interface and no shut it 10 seconds later. Maybe there is a simpler way out there

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you Prime Infra in place, so make a Template to reboot these IP Address.

if you looking some script look below :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/reboot-multiple-or-all-access-points-via-wlc-web-gui-or-cisco/td-p/2460654

BB

Hi Balaji,

Yes I have PI in my deployment. I looked into the steps that Sandeep posted, the parameters are there. I'm gonna try test it and post how it goes. Thank you.

yes we do all the time, try few devices like 3 or 4 for testing, once the process works, you can go bing band restart

BB

Hi Balaji,

Thank you for the advise. I just tested it today and it works perfectly. Will save a lot of my time.

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As it's already up for nearly two years, you might want to consider doing upgrades because of security issues, for example:

https://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-wifi-faf-22epcEWu

Update should be out this or next month. 

Hi Patoberli,

Thank you for the advise. Currently we have restrictions to go to the office because of the pandemic. I will raise it to my seniors, hopefully they will consider it when we have the chance.

Then this is the ideal time to do it, with the reload No users affected from the reboot outage

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am with @patoberli.  
I would rather updating the firmware of the WLC.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Agreed with @patoberli and @Leo Laohoo - upgrade now.  While the office is empty is the perfect opportunity to do that. You do not need to be physically present to do the upgrade.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: