Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to use multiple VLANs on 3 different SSID's - Mobility Express

tfpmatos
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,
I'm running out of ideas here, me an the team have searched entire forums looking for this but we can't get this to work.

So, this is our setup:
Mikrotik router has the VLAN's set up with DHCP configured for each (1, 10, 20 and 30). Static routes for the VLAN's are correctly configured. We set port 2 as the trunk port, and connected it to the switch (which is the tp-link sg1210p, managed), on port 1 and tagged vlans 1, 10, 20 and 30. 
The subnets for each vlan are 192.168.1.0/24 for the vlan 1; 192.168.10.0/24 for the vlan 10; 192.168.20.0/24 for the vlan 20 and 192.168.30.0/24 for the vlan 30.
The access points being used are the Cisco Aironet 1815i-k9, being one of the the WLC, running the latest cisco firmware for the Mobility Express.
Tagged the VLAN's 10, 20 and 30 on port 2 of the switch and set VLAN 1 to untagged, as the management interface of the AP requires the traffic to be untagged. All the ports on the switch have the PVID set to 1.

Now, on the access point, I created just 1 SSID to test the IP assignment on the VLAN 20 (for example).
So, to do that i added a new WLAN, set the security as "personal" and the encryption as WPA2, set the vlan tagging to yes and stated the id as 20, set the native VLAN to 1 and clicked ok and saved.

No IP address at all when connecting to the SSID on VLAN 20.

If i use no VLAN tagging, it sends me out the VLAN 1 and have access to the internet.

Anyone here that can help please? Ask some more questions if you have to, I'll reply with everything I've found so far.

Thank you so much.

Tiago M.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott, I solved it. So far, I do not know what was wrong in the first place but i reset the settings the mikrotik RouterOS and reconfigured it as it was. I did nothing different, but now it works. Go figure...

Thank you all for the help provided!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i do not see any issue Mobility Express :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-2/b_Mobility_Express_Deployment_guide/b_Mobility_Express_Deployment_guide_chapter_0111.html

make sure your switch can support Trunk and allowed VLANs in the switch.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

The switch ises untagged and tagged to set up trunk. If you tag multiple vlans on a switch port, it'll be configured as trunk.

As Long as the switch pass that information, as i suggested i do not see the issue on ME side. may be try different configuring the switch port combination.

below guide (i am not a TP link expert) -where is the Layer 3 SVI (on switch ?) try trunk should work as i read.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/328/

BB

Like what @balaji.bandi mentioned, the ME side looks good.  You might want to go on the other vendors forum for recommendations or run a packet capture on the trunk port to see if the other vlans are being passed.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott, I solved it. So far, I do not know what was wrong in the first place but i reset the settings the mikrotik RouterOS and reconfigured it as it was. I did nothing different, but now it works. Go figure...

Thank you all for the help provided!

Trunk is properly set up.
Do I need to configure any L3 vlan settings on the switch? It shouldn't be needed...

if this is just layer 2 you do not need any Layer 3 interface (unitl your requirement is different)

BB

No L3 needed.

Follow troubleshooting approach as Scott suggested.

Make sure your software is up to date as per TAC recommended below (you did not mention what version you're using).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card